• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help W/ chevyno1 Kernel

Hello Everyone :)

I have my droid rooted 2.2 and want to at least have 1.0ghz overclock but i don't want to use custom roms just want to stick with stock droid rooted but is it possible to have chevyno1 kernel installed?

I see he has alot to choose from and i notice some are LowV and ULowV and was wondering which one should i choose.

Also if you can tell me how to install the kernel, i tried searching but all i see are people with custom roms and stuff.

Sorry for being a noob but i am new to this :)

chevyno1 kernels

these are the root apps i have install do i need anything to install kernel
cap201010031802.jpg

No, you just need to be rooted. The link you had are actually to older Chevy kernels.

Here are the newer ones:
Index of /froyo/kernels2

There are a couple different ways to install. I'm assuming since you don't have ROM Manager that you have SPR Recovery.

In that case you would download the kernel you want, rename it to update.zip and place it on the root of your SD card.

Then power off, Hold X on hardware keyboard then push power button, and in recovery you should have the option to install update.zip.

Even easier would be to install ROM manager, flash Clockworkmod recovery, and install through ROM Manager. If you do this you don't have to rename the file to update.zip you can leave it as it.

In ROM Manager you can either choose "Install ROM from SD Card" (yes this is not a ROM but the procedure is the same) or if you get the premium version of ROM Manager (need to pay) you can actually download and install Chevy kernels from within ROM Manager.

EDIT: The choice of the kernel is yours. Some people have issues with kernels that are too fast or with ULV kernels. ULV and LV kernels will use less voltage/power, decreasing battery drain. I actually recommend downloading ROM Manager and flashing clockworkmod recovery and downloading multiple kernels to your SD card before you flash anything.

That way if you run into a problem with one of them such as a boot loop, you can boot into recovery and install a different one.

Reactions: jsarcades
Upvote 0
No, you just need to be rooted. The link you had are actually to older Chevy kernels.

Here are the newer ones:
Index of /froyo/kernels2

There are a couple different ways to install. I'm assuming since you don't have ROM Manager that you have SPR Recovery.

In that case you would download the kernel you want, rename it to update.zip and place it on the root of your SD card.

Then power off, Hold X on hardware keyboard then push power button, and in recovery you should have the option to install update.zip.

Even easier would be to install ROM manager, flash Clockworkmod recovery, and install through ROM Manager. If you do this you don't have to rename the file to update.zip you can leave it as it.

In ROM Manager you can either choose "Install ROM from SD Card" (yes this is not a ROM but the procedure is the same) or if you get the premium version of ROM Manager (need to pay) you can actually download and install Chevy kernels from within ROM Manager.

EDIT: The choice of the kernel is yours. Some people have issues with kernels that are too fast or with ULV kernels. ULV and LV kernels will use less voltage/power, decreasing battery drain. I actually recommend downloading ROM Manager and flashing clockworkmod recovery and downloading multiple kernels to your SD card before you flash anything.

That way if you run into a problem with one of them such as a boot loop, you can boot into recovery and install a different one.

Awesome thanks for replying aprreciate it. So i will download rom manager and clockworkmod recovery, do i make a backup of my current kernel or something just in case ?

Upvote 0
Awesome thanks for replying aprreciate it. So i will download rom manager and clockworkmod recovery, do i make a backup of my current kernel or something just in case ?

Clockworkmod recovery is flashed from within ROM Manager. Just download it and you'll see what I mean.

Making a backup couldn't hurt, but just put 3+ kernels on your SD card and you should be ok. It's a good idea to keep a few kernels on your SD card at all times so that if you run into trouble with one you have a really easy way out.

when I first starting flashing kernels I didn't do this and I ran into a boot loop and almost had a heart attack. I was able to fix it though!

Upvote 0
Clockworkmod recovery is flashed from within ROM Manager. Just download it and you'll see what I mean.

Making a backup couldn't hurt, but just put 3+ kernels on your SD card and you should be ok. It's a good idea to keep a few kernels on your SD card at all times so that if you run into trouble with one you have a really easy way out.

when I first starting flashing kernels I didn't do this and I ran into a boot loop and almost had a heart attack. I was able to fix it though!
Okay I install rom manager and it installed clockwork recovery and i just picked backup current rom, but i dont see anything about kernel or is that being backed up when i choose backup rom.

Upvote 0
Does any one know why when I flashed a Chevy's ULV 1.0 ,it shows up as being installed in about phone, but when I go to Setcpu the highest I can overclock it is 550 MHZ..

I running UDEX .08

Thanks

****nevermid I fixed it, I was trying to get to setcpu from my widget shorcut from my home screen, as soon as I went into setcpu from the App drawer the right Kernel was there.

Upvote 0
Does any one know why when I flashed a Chevy's ULV 1.0 ,it shows up as being installed in about phone, but when I go to Setcpu the highest I can overclock it is 550 MHZ..

I running UDEX .08

Thanks

****nevermid I fixed it, I was trying to get to setcpu from my widget shorcut from my home screen, as soon as I went into setcpu from the App drawer the right Kernel was there.

Good to see you fix the problem, i put his 1.1ghz ulv kernel on today and its running great and nice temps :)

Upvote 0
Alright this should be my last question hopefully lol

what do i need to do to get this bar to be black/transparent, i know people use custom roms with themes that do that but i want to stick with stock droid theme/rom and just have that bar black or transparent at least.

to manually do it your self does your droid need to be deodex?

If i need to deodex will this guide work on my phone even with custom kernel

Step Two of that guide :)

[HowTo] Root, Deodex, and Theme Droid Froyo 2.2 FRG22D - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

any easy way of doing it?

cap201010050143.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones