• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help w/ Google Calender (Samsung Galaxy Nexus)

LJP1983

Mar 5, 2012
Hey guys.

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong section to ask this in. This site has an OBSCENE amount of subforums and frankly I just got tired of looking through them to find something suitable. If I'm out of line, I apologize and request my post be moved to the appropriate section, and thank you.

Anyway...

My Galaxy Nexus syncs up just fine with my Google account. Gmail, G+, all that stuff works just fine. As far as I can tell, the only issue I have is my calender.

Here is what happens:

I click Calender. I click on a date on the calendar.

The OS tells me:

"No Calendars

Before you can add an event, you must add at least one Calendar account to the device and make a calendar visible. Touch 'Add Account' to add an account (if you just added an account, wait for it to finish syncing and try again).Or touch Cancel and ensure that at least one calendar is visible."

I say alrighty then, and click Add Account. I choose Google. Once I select Google, there is a Sign-In option. I sign in with my Gmail addy and the message I get says:

"Couldn't sign in

Account already exists

There is already a ********@gmail.com account on this Android device."

Uh, well, pardon my French, but no s***! That's why I'm signing in and not creating an account.

Anyway all I want to be able to accomplish is to add events to my calendar and use it like a... calendar.

While trying to troubleshoot it by looking at threads here, I tried going to my sync options and I get options for

Sync Books

Browser

Contacts

Gmail

Google Photos

Google Plus

But nothing for Calendar. Now help me out here, am I just a moron and I am doing something wrong from the start, or what? The "Log In Here!" followed by "DURP THAT ACCOUNT ALREADY EXISTS!" set off the warning bells but I'm still not sure I'm not just doing it wrong. Google doesn't usually make silly faux pas' like that, so what am I doing?

Please advise, and thanks in advance.

I was not able to view or edit my calendar when i first installed google calendars. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I needed to display the calendar first.
Open Calendar>Menu (3 dots top right of the calendar)>select Calendars to Display> then check the box for the calendar you want to display (your gmail account).

I am guessing you are already signed in your account but not displaying your calendar. You can't view or edit your calendar until its displayed. I hope this fixes your problem.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for your help.

Chris, problem still isn't solved but I think this gets me on the right track.

When I select Calendars to Display, nothing shows up. I clicked Calendars to Sync, and selected my Gmail account, which successfully synched... yet the calendar still gives me the same puzzling error where it asks me to sign in and then says "this account is already registered to an Android device"... that's what I don't understand. Of course it's registered. That's why you asked me to sign in and not create a new account. If accounts which are already registered can't be used, what's the point of having a sign in feature?

I'm definitely missing something here.

Anyway I just want to use a Calendar, I'm not that particular about how it gets done but I was hoping to use the Google one and keep everything as Google (and theoretically, streamlined/optimized/etc.) as possible.

Am I doing something wrong on the Google side of things? This is the same Calendar as the one in the tabs of my Gmail/G+ hub, isn't it?

Still confused, everything else synched up and worked flawlessly and this is the one thing that doesn't. It's pretty important too, I really need a calendar on here.

Thanks again for the help!

Upvote 0
Ehh... I fixed it. I have no idea how, it just suddenly worked. I tried it two or three more times after I posted the last message and on the last try it just stopped giving me the error message and worked.

Glad I got it fixed, but not sure what I did to fix it so it isn't much help to anyone else who comes across this issue. :(

Upvote 0
Ehh... I fixed it. I have no idea how, it just suddenly worked. I tried it two or three more times after I posted the last message and on the last try it just stopped giving me the error message and worked.

Glad I got it fixed, but not sure what I did to fix it so it isn't much help to anyone else who comes across this issue. :(

Oh well, glad you got it going. :)

Upvote 0
I had the same problem too. My solution was a bit extreme, but it worked.

Basically remove the Google account from the phone (which restores the phone to original factory settings so beware), then link the account to the Calender FIRST, then set the account up again and sync again to the phone itself.

May not be that helpful to people who aren't prepared to lose their data & contacts etc, but it worked. I couldn't find any other way to do it..

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, I know it's an old thread, but just in case someone stumbles upon it I decided to post anyways.
I had the same problem while setting things up on a brand new 4.4 on galaxy S2.
For me the problem and the solution was this: earlier I enabled privacy guard - for obvious reasons -
and it kept all calendar widgets I tried from reading and modifying my calendars (silly me!).
When I noticed it - I could grand permissions in privacy guard to any widget I wanted and
they all could see all my calendars.
Cheers, better late then never :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones