1. Good things coming in just a couple hours, stay tuned!
    Dismiss Notice

HELP: Wake-On-LAN + Router step by step?

Last Updated:

1. Toekyy

Toekyy New Member

Hi everyone!

I would like to make my Galaxy S able to wake up one of my computers remotely via 3G/Wi-Fi. This specific computer is hooked up to a TP-LINK 1043ND router via cable.
    I made some preparations:

- BIOS: WOL enabled
    - Win7 Device Manager: Magic Packet reception enabled
    - Router: DHCP Address Reservation for computer: 192.168.1.100
    - Router: Port 9 for 192.168.1.100 in Virtual server enabled

I downloaded several WOL apps from Market, but they kinda confuse me, I don't really know which MAC-Address, or IP to input. Plus I still have a feeling, that something is missing..

Can someone recommend me a good app and guide me through the whole setup process? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. adibranch

adibranch New Member

you get your IP address from somewhere like www.whatismyip.com , but be wary that if you use a larger ISP broadband provider such as BT, you wont have a dedicated IP, which means it will always change. There are ways round this though.

you mac adresss, well the easiest place to find this is from your router. Look for 'attached devices' or similar.
  3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd just leave the computer turned on. I've never been able to get WOL to work reliably in any environment I've been in. YOu'd would have to set up your router to auto update to a dynamic DNS host. That's easy enough to do in most cases. You'd also have to set up your router to direct magic packets to your computer.