• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help - why does google search show UK results??

agag

Lurker
Sep 12, 2010
I have a debranded Desire, originally sold by Telus in Canada, which I updated to Froyo using the instructions on this site. Everything works fine except that all google search results post UK based urls, rather than US and local search results. I have Google settings to remember my location but I cannot figure out to stop this from happening. It happens using the google search button or when using a bookmarked google web page. PLEASE help!!

I have a debranded Desire, originally sold by Telus in Canada, which I updated to Froyo using the instructions on this site. Everything works fine except that all google search results post UK based urls, rather than US and local search results. I have Google settings to remember my location but I cannot figure out to stop this from happening. It happens using the google search button or when using a bookmarked google web page. PLEASE help!!
You must be using the UK google site...just delete the bookmark for that site and go to google.ca and set it as a new bookmark.

If you want to reset the location info, just open the web browser, press Menu, tap More, Settings, scroll down to "Clear location access" and tap on it, then scroll down to "Enable location" and clear the checkbox to disable it.

You can also set settings at the Google website and save them. When on the google page there is a link to Settings, and in there you can Clear saved locations and turn off Location info. Save the setting changes at the bottom and you're done.

Upvote 0
I am not using a UK bookmark. It happens when I do google search or on the web if I type in anything, it lists UK results. I did as you suggested to no avail. Any other ideas what I am doing wrong or is a froyo version going to give me UK results.
I have no idea as I don't have any problems with searches. I can search for something generic and non UK like the word "ferrari" and the first thing it shows me is the official Ferrari website, and then a bunch of other sites that have info about Ferrari vehicles, but nothing UK centric that I can see...there might be a UK website in there, but not all UK sites or anything. I have a Telus Desire too, using it here in Canada, and no issues.

When you're using the Internet browser and you go to Google.com, there is no way it will give you UK results, plain and simple since you're at the US google website. Using the Search button I can see it doing that as it uses predefined settings to do a google search that may put your location as UK, but I've used it and never really noticed UK specific results. Of course I have location turned off in my settings for both the browser and google website, so it can't use location settings of any kind.

All I can think of is that you've used the Search feature and google set your location to UK and all results since then have been UK oriented.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones