• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help with Android 2.1

I just purchased a Samsung Vibrant running Android 2.1. I notice that when I go to kill the currently executing tasks there are lots of tasks running that I do not want taking up memory or cpu time. I cannot figure out how to keep those tasks from automatically starting at some random time during the day.

I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

I just purchased a Samsung Vibrant running Android 2.1. I notice that when I go to kill the currently executing tasks there are lots of tasks running that I do not want taking up memory or cpu time. I cannot figure out how to keep those tasks from automatically starting at some random time during the day.

I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

You might want to read these first:

http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them

and ...

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

Killing tasks should be reserved for misbehaving apps only, not used to manage memory.

Upvote 0
You dont need to kill those tasks. Task killers are not needed with android. Unlike Windows, Android will fill its cache full of programs to fully take advantage of the memory. Those programs are not running, just cached for when you want to open them. By killing those apps, you mess up the way android works, and android will just put those back into cache, therefore using more battery then it would if you just leave them alone.

Upvote 0
A lot of those tasks are meant to run continuously in the background. If you press Alt+Ctrl+Delete on your PC and open up task manager, you will see a long list of task. Trying to shut down all of them will result in a crash.

Do a bit of trial of error and see which tasks pop up again after you have killed it. Those are the ones you do not want to kill.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones