• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help with Backing up ROMS? Fast answer please :)

I use LG Connect MS840 Rooted, and I installed CWM and flashed a different rom.

I have backed up both the new rom, and the stock rom. Both are in dif folders with data, however, CWM will not recognize them in recovery since they are files, not a single ZIP.

Should I ZIP them all in order to flash them

Please help, I'm trying to get my stock rom back

I have not looked at CWM's recovery options in quite some time as I personally prefer TeamWin Recovery (TWRP) TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.6 - | TeamWin but Ill give you a pointer.

Are you sure are simply selecting the options to flash your backup files and NOT a new recovery?

There is a difference, you may be unknowingly following the options to flash a whole new recovery like CWM or TWRP which come in flashable zip files.

Look for a restore option instead of recovery, you should then be able to select what partitions of the backup files you have such as app,data, and system.

For a complete restore you want to select all 3.

Upvote 0

I have backed up both the new rom, and the stock rom. Both are in dif folders with data, however, CWM will not recognize them in recovery since they are files, not a single ZIP.

Um, If you are trying to get 100% stock ROM back, check out the Unbrick/Unroot/Update LG Connect thread, the very first sticky at the top of this forum. With a couple of downloads and a few simple steps you can restore that phone, but you'll have to root and flash CWM all over again.

If you're trying to restore your stock backup image, use CWM to restore it. If you...somehow made a backup of your phone in a different manner other than using CWM to do it, more details on how you did it/what you're really trying to do would help us help you :D

Upvote 0
Um, If you are trying to get 100% stock ROM back, check out the Unbrick/Unroot/Update LG Connect thread, the very first sticky at the top of this forum. With a couple of downloads and a few simple steps you can restore that phone, but you'll have to root and flash CWM all over again.

If you're trying to restore your stock backup image, use CWM to restore it. If you...somehow made a backup of your phone in a different manner other than using CWM to do it, more details on how you did it/what you're really trying to do would help us help you :D

I used CWM, under backup and restore, did "Backup Current Rom". When I try to restore it however, there are no files there? However, when I did the backup it worked, and when I look in the folder on my computer all the files from the backup are there, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

But let me get this straight:
Flashing a new rom, is when you first instal it.
Making a backup is making an image to restore that rom to exactly how it was when you made the backup.
You can have backupss of different roms

Upvote 0
I used CWM, under backup and restore, did "Backup Current Rom". When I try to restore it however, there are no files there? However, when I did the backup it worked, and when I look in the folder on my computer all the files from the backup are there, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

But let me get this straight:
Flashing a new rom, is when you first instal it.
Making a backup is making an image to restore that rom to exactly how it was when you made the backup.
You can have backupss of different roms

Did you use ROM Manager to back up your ROM ??

Upvote 0

1: reboot into recovery
2: select 'backup and restore'
3A: select 'restore' --> select (ex. 'ms840v2.0.10292013') = full backup restore (data loss may occur)
3B: select 'advanced restore' --> select (ex. 'ms840v2.0.10292013')
--> select ('restore boot/system/data/cache/sd-ext') = partial backup restore (data-loss may occur)

So, maybe you're stuck in a bootloop and you want to try flashing a boot.img to fix it.

Did you make the backup from the cwm app, or were you in recovery mode? I've noticed issues with making backups from the app. Specifically when trying to restore in recovery mode from a nand backup created by the app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones