1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with contact categories & dialer

Last Updated:

1. buildscapeinc

buildscapeinc Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all....."first time caller here". Just wanted to start off with a sincere thank you for all the help and great suggestions here!! I am coming from a Black Berrry Storm 2 and, have had a Fascinate for a month now and the advise here has been wonderful (BTW, I'm pretty sure I will never own another blackberry again).

I have close to 800 contacts in my phone, many with husbands and wives cell phones under one contact name (I do not want to create separate contacts for each). With my Blackberry I had the husband's phone as mobile1 and the wife's phone as mobile2. It was simple and worked great. So now with the fascinate I have their phone numbers as mobile and mobile and have no idea whose is whose (I was hoping that my old mobile1 number would always be listed first but that is not the case). I know with Outlook to BlackBerry you could map the categories to be something differrent (for example all of my "car phone" fields for wifes (when I had an old windows based smart phone) became mobile2 fields for my BlackBerry.

Is there anyway of remapping my contact fields other than doing it manually for each contact? I have everything synced with Google and have not synced with outlook yet?

My other issue is when placing a call. I open up the phone and use the number pad to start typing a contact's first name to find them. When I click on his info it brings up typically three numbers (his cell, wife's cell and home). It does not even list which category any of the numbers are. If I start in contacts and find the name (it takes me much longer to do this than typing a first name through the phone) it will show all numbers and what each number is and then a call can be made from here. I'd like to make my calls out of the phone app and not the contacts app. Anyway of getting the field/category labels to be listed in the phone app?

Is there a 3rd party app that does this or can the native do this?

Thanks a bunch,
    Brian

Advertisement
  2. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Bad news - I think you'll have to do this manually. Synch'ing back to Outlook won't really work. You pretty much have to give up Outlook and use gmail and gcalendar and gmail contacts going forward, if you want to keep everything easily sync'd and keep your Android.

Good news - is that you can do this on your computer.

Go into your gmail account and edit each contact. You can rename the labels for tel#s whatever you want...So you could actually change the labels to "Husband" and "Wife". Whatever labels you create for the contact's # in gmail will sync down to your phone. Try a couple and you will see what I mean.

Don't have answer to your dialer question.