• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help with data settings please!!

Smajra

Lurker
Jan 25, 2011
Hi, first post and also a very new android user so please bear with me!
I got my X 10 mini about 3 weeks ago and loved it. I instantly enabled WIFI and was browsing to my hearts content only to discover yesterday that the phone was preset to favour my service providers internet connection and that despite the wifi being activated and the symbol clearly visible at the top of the screen I was, in fact, not browsing through the wifi and have not accunulated quite a bill.

I rang tech support and was told to go to 'settings'- 'wireless & networks' - 'mobile networks'- 'access point names' and when there, to change the APN to any random name in order for my phone to give preference to wifi rather than 3G.
Still with me? Well, I did this and yet from checking my usage I can see that my internet charges are increasing hourly!! I dont fully understand what disabling data traffic means and whether or not I want to do that??
Surely even with it enabled or anything else actually running on the phone that I'm not aware of, this should all be happening through wifi and therefore be free anyway as I should have effectively disabled my phones ability to connect any other way.

I need help please as I really cant afford these charges and I cant seem to stop them increasing :eek:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones