• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help with deleting Accuweather

Katosepe

Lurker
Dec 27, 2012
Hi everybody,

Okay so this is probably going to end up being a really stupid question but I simply cannot figure this out. For xmas, I brought my mom into the world of android ownership with the Samsung Stratosphere 2. We got it at Costco and are going through Verizon. The phone is great except for one thing, this stupid Accuweather app. It wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that it seems to be hijacking her browser somehow and I can't get it to stop. Every time I open the default browser, it opens a new tab asking for Accuweather locations. This wouldn't be that big of a deal but my mom is anything but tech savvy and this does nothing but confuse her.

I've tried several things including trying to get rid of Accuweather (can't because it's a bloatware app), trying to delete the system files of the app (same reason), clearing the system/browser cache plus all other browser files including cookies and whatnot. I've tried using an antivirus thinking maybe it's some weird pre-installed malware. I've tried going through the Accuweather website to give it what it wants but it doesn't seem to have any end goal or anything.

I'm at my wit's end here and really need some help. Currently, I've installed the Firefox browser for her but she has some odd loathing of Firefox so it's a temporary solution. Please, if anybody knows how to end the tyranny of the Accuweather app, let me know.

Have you gone into the Accuweather app itself and set a location or two? How about opening up the stock browser, hitting the "dots" capacitive button, and mucking around with the settings (like blocking pop-ups, setting the homepage to something else, etc)?

Sorry if that seems a bit rudimentary or if you've already done it. If you want to install a different browser that seems to be decent (and more importantly, NOT Firefox), try Dolphin; seems to be working well for me so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones