Help with dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last Updated:

1. amcd

amcd New Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 11, 2010
    hi there, i just got my htc dream and i love it. It's obviously locked to rogers but i want to unlock it to switch to fido which brings me to

question 1: Good or not? When i unlock my phone does it mean i can download the apps even if it says i have to pay? [a friend told me this]

question 2: How do i know if my dream is cupcake? my firmware is 1.5 i don't know what that means and it says kernel version too

question 3: if it isn't, is there a way i can jailbreak my phone to make it into cupcake or even better?

if someone could PLEASE help me out i would appreciate it soooo much!

2. GreatBigDog

GreatBigDog Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    1. You don't need to unlock your Dream to use it on Fido, Fido is owned by Rogers.

2. If your Dream is newly purchased from Rogers then it has a perfected SPL and you won't be able to root it (jailbreak). If it's one that you bought off of somebody else it would depend if it's had the E911 update applied or not.
  3. Silvertag

Silvertag Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Fido uses Rogers network. You'll stay on the same network but will have Fido mobile plan.

False. The android market is not controlled by the provider but Google. If an app is 1.99$ you will have to go through Google checkout and be billed on your credit card.

Android uses desert theme name for each version and it can be confusing.
    1.5 (Cupcake), 1.6 (Donut), 2.0 (Eclair), 2.2 (Froyo). Right now there are no updates from Rogers (made by HTC) for the Dream past Cupcake 1.5.

Yes there is, GBD has a great guide on this forum that you can look into to get familiar with the procedure before diving in. It's not for the faint of heart but if your well informed it's not that hard to do. You can also have a look on - Cell Phone How To's, Phone Reviews, and Wireless News! for video tutorials.
  4. XBrav

XBrav Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Actually, Fido was a bit pissy when I dropped my SIM into my Rogers Dream. Yeah, it asked for a SIM unlock code once I changed my network. The unlock codes are cheap on eBay, got mine for $5