Support help with email and FB notifications...thanks

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mina576, Sep 20, 2010.

1. mina576

mina576 New Member

Sep 20, 2010

Hello....I'm a newbie android user and so far loving it. I had a blackberry previous to my new fascinate and was happy with it but am way happier with my fascinate. Although, I'm having a problem (maybe it's normal for the droids and this phone) with my email notifications and FB notifications.

Email

I have my aol (primary) and yahoo emails on my home page but don't get notified when I have a new email. I have to physically open up the email icon. Is that normal for this phone? or is there a way to have a notification on that top bar (where txt msg notif. are) when I do get and email?

Facebook

I know it's not a necessary thing but I was used to with my BB that I'd get a notification star on my FB icon when I had a new message/notification. Is there a way to have that on my FB here. The only way I know I have any FB notifications is when I physicall open my FB icon and see a star on the notification bar at the bottom of my screen. I don't even know if fascinate and FB offer this kind of notification but if it does I'd like so enable it.

I'm also having a problem syncing my fb contacts with my phone contacts. I don't know if its because my FB acct is under a different email than the gmail acct you need for the fascinate.

Any suggestions for my questions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    mina ​

Advertisement

2. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Co-op'ing, doing software development in IT
    Ohio, US
    First of all, welcome! Yes, I'm still a newbie here myself, but I'm gonna welcome you anyway, dangit.

There is a bug in the Email app that sets the default email check frequency to Never. To change this, look at an Inbox, tap Menu > Account Settings > Email Check Frequency, and change it to your liking. I would recommend not selecting 5 minutes, since it is my theory that that setting is related to the "Email never refreshes even though I told it to bug", but that's just my guess with no actual research.

This is the part I know the least about. There is an option for Notifications, but it appears that I never got any (granted, I get about 2 FB events a week..). Maybe someone else has more insight into getting this part to work. However, to get to the Notification setting, open Facebook, go to Menu > Settings, and it's in the top portion labeled General Settings.

Alright, I'll admit I haven't tried this till now. What I did was go to Contacts > Menu > Accounts > Add Account button > Facebook, and give it my login information (and adjust the settings to my liking). Not sure if it works yet, though, as it seems Sync is having issues *mutters* but I'll keep you posted.

Once again, welcome to the forums! Hope you have lots of fun with your new shiny toy, I know I am.

3. mina576

mina576 New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    thanks Moonfire...I will try what you suggested and let you know how it worked out for me.

thanks again
    mina

4. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Co-op'ing, doing software development in IT
    Ohio, US
    You're more than welcome, and please do, I want you to be able to do what you want with your phone! Especially since it looks like it should be able to.

5. Agapens

Agapens Active Member

May 11, 2010
    This thread should be stickied or put in the Tips section. I had no idea that the e-mail program was capable of notifications....I just thought it sucked. Thanks!