Help With Failed OTA UpdateSupport

Last Updated:

1. MegaVortex

MegaVortex Member This Topic's Starter

Yesterday morning I was happy to see that I had received the 2.2 OTA update. I readily clicked yes to apply, and my (rooted I should probably mention) phone rebooted and and just had the little Android guy next to a triangle with an exclamation point in it. At this point if I pressed any buttons, the Clockwork recovery mod tool popped up. I rebooted the phone and tried again with the same results. Thinking that it might have something to do with my phone being rooted, I followed the steps to unroot it. That went fine, but now when I check it says that my system is up to date and it won't download the OTA. So I even followed the steps to manually apply the 2.2 update, and while in the recovery screen, it fails and says that update.zip has errors or something. I've redownloaded it and have tried everything else that I could think of. Is there any way for me to get my phone to 2.2 now?? BTW... I have since re-rooted my phone. Any tips/help would be appreciated!! Thanks guys!! Sorry this is so long, but I'm on my lunch break and figured that I'd explain as much as I could so that hopefully when I come home from work I can find a solution. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. jbh00jh

jbh00jh Well-Known Member

Unroot the phone and flash the .zip update file or the 8/26 RUU udate file.
    There are threads on this site in the roms section and on xda that explain these update procedures step by step. READ and learn. :)

3. MegaVortex

I did exactly that yesterday. I unrooted, and tried update.zip, but it failed after several attempts and re downloads of it. That's why I'm posting this, because I have spent several hours last night looking into this and have had no luck. I did learn that the original update failed because of the clockwork recovery mod though. Anyways, will the OTA pop back up on my phone at a later time, or am I screwed. Because right now, if I go into about software it says that no updates are available.

4. MegaVortex

Another question... is the RUU update the exact same update as the OTA, or are they different versions? Basically, does it matter which one you use? That is, if I could get either one to work, because I've tried doing both. :(

5. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

This may or may not help.

Unroot, load stock like from a hard reset twice, then run the check for updates. That's what someone I know had to do on their droid.

6. MegaVortex

What do you mean by hard reset? Like pulling the battery??

7. MegaVortex

Update: I finally got the RUU update to work by using my Windows XP laptop instead of my Win7 desktop. And I followed the instructions to keep root, so all is well with me. I still couldn't get the update.zip to work, but oh well. lol