• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help With Failed OTA Update

MegaVortex

May 28, 2010
MI
Yesterday morning I was happy to see that I had received the 2.2 OTA update. I readily clicked yes to apply, and my (rooted I should probably mention) phone rebooted and and just had the little Android guy next to a triangle with an exclamation point in it. At this point if I pressed any buttons, the Clockwork recovery mod tool popped up. I rebooted the phone and tried again with the same results. Thinking that it might have something to do with my phone being rooted, I followed the steps to unroot it. That went fine, but now when I check it says that my system is up to date and it won't download the OTA. So I even followed the steps to manually apply the 2.2 update, and while in the recovery screen, it fails and says that update.zip has errors or something. I've redownloaded it and have tried everything else that I could think of. Is there any way for me to get my phone to 2.2 now?? BTW... I have since re-rooted my phone. Any tips/help would be appreciated!! Thanks guys!! Sorry this is so long, but I'm on my lunch break and figured that I'd explain as much as I could so that hopefully when I come home from work I can find a solution. Thanks!

Yesterday morning I was happy to see that I had received the 2.2 OTA update. I readily clicked yes to apply, and my (rooted I should probably mention) phone rebooted and and just had the little Android guy next to a triangle with an exclamation point in it. At this point if I pressed any buttons, the Clockwork recovery mod tool popped up. I rebooted the phone and tried again with the same results. Thinking that it might have something to do with my phone being rooted, I followed the steps to unroot it. That went fine, but now when I check it says that my system is up to date and it won't download the OTA. So I even followed the steps to manually apply the 2.2 update, and while in the recovery screen, it fails and says that update.zip has errors or something. I've redownloaded it and have tried everything else that I could think of. Is there any way for me to get my phone to 2.2 now?? BTW... I have since re-rooted my phone. Any tips/help would be appreciated!! Thanks guys!! Sorry this is so long, but I'm on my lunch break and figured that I'd explain as much as I could so that hopefully when I come home from work I can find a solution. Thanks!

Unroot the phone and flash the .zip update file or the 8/26 RUU udate file.
There are threads on this site in the roms section and on xda that explain these update procedures step by step. READ and learn. :)

Upvote 0
Unroot the phone and flash the .zip update file or the 8/26 RUU udate file.
There are threads on this site in the roms section and on xda that explain these update procedures step by step. READ and learn. :)
I did exactly that yesterday. I unrooted, and tried update.zip, but it failed after several attempts and re downloads of it. That's why I'm posting this, because I have spent several hours last night looking into this and have had no luck. I did learn that the original update failed because of the clockwork recovery mod though. Anyways, will the OTA pop back up on my phone at a later time, or am I screwed. Because right now, if I go into about software it says that no updates are available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones