Help with Froyo on Milestone (Dexter)

Last Updated:

1. Davelosm

Davelosm Member This Topic's Starter

I've decided to have a go at Dexters motofrenzy mod.
    Quite frankly motorola have been useless up to now getting updates to us, and I'd be surprised if 2.2 happens this year.

So, I'm still pretty new to this stuff but i've seen what dexters mod can do and how well it works.

I'm just a bit confused as to how to get this done, open recovery, and nandroid, as I've never used them before.

Can anyone give me a quick pointer? I've had a look around but didn't find anything that helped.

Thanks in advace.
    Dave

Advertisement
  2. GlitchZero

GlitchZero Well-Known Member

Use Cyanogen6 for Milestone instead! It's better. :p

This is the abridged version..I will expand later once I get more sleep.

Step 1, root your phone.

Step 2, download OpenRecovery. (GOTs or ClockWorkMods or something) once it's downloaded, put the rar or zip or whatever it is on your sdcard and unpack it. Put your Nandroid backup (Dexters, CM6, whatever) into the nandroid folder.

Step 3, boot up the phone in Recovery mode. Hold the camera button down while the phone powers up. Once you get the triangle on the screen, press the camera button and volume up button at the same time.

Step 4. Apply update.zip

Step 5. Hit Nandroid Menu / Nandroid Restore, pick your ROM, and watch the magic. ;)

3. Davelosm

Sweet, that sounds simple enough.

Do I not have to do anything with nandroid first? Just put open recovery on sdcard, and when unpacked there will be a nandroid folder to put the mod in? Is that correct?

As a side note, I haven't looked into cyanogen 6, I didn't think it was available for Milestone, since it is, what makes it better than Dexters?

Thanks for your help. Saved me lots of time already.

Edit: AND, should I wipe data/everything before doing this? Or at what stage should I?
    AND, there is an update.zip already in the Open recovery, so did you mean apply that update.zip, or change the name of the mod to update.zip and apply that?

4. Davelosm

Never mind dude, I got it sorted. And thanks for the suggestion of cyanogen6..its unbelievable.

5. GlitchZero

Sorry man, I totally forgot to check the Everything Root forum. :p Glad you got it working.

And I know. I respect Dexters work and everything, but Cyanogen tops it. Working native apps2sd, (although if you use G.O.T.s OpenRecovery, you might want to to the apps2sd partition thing) Working camera, (however shitty the Droid interface looks...) and the speeds are good.

Glad you got it working though. :)

Davelosm likes this.
  6. oam

oam Member

Is there a program that can backup everything so you dont lose any of your apps and settings? Im tempted to try the Cyanogen.

7. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

Titanium Backup is my choice.

8. GlitchZero

I highly suggest downloading ADW.Launcher if you don't have it already, as it comes as the stock launcher in Cyanogen. That way, you can back up your ADW settings and Desktop Layout. Combine that with Titanium Backup as John Bean suggested, and you will literally not see a difference in your setup.

Question to those who have used MotoFrenzy and Cyanogen - I created an ext2 partition using G.O.T.'s OpenRecovery Modding Menu. It's 1GB partition.

Anyways, I removed everything and formatted my card, then put it all back. I checked through adb and Disk Utility on my Mac, and the partition is still there. I also applied a fix from Dext3r, something called 1apps2sd in /system/etc/init.d to get apps2sd working with Cyanogen.

In the Cyanogen Settings menu, I selected external for everything, however when I look at my available App Memory, it only shows 50mb. Now, when I loaded it it was 192, obviously, but with 90% of my apps in the "SD Card" area in the Settings/Applications/Manage Applications area, I should have much, much more space, I only have about 75 applications, none over 6mb.

Any ideas? I don't know why it's saying it's external but it's clearly not.