• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help with getting new rom on my gtablet

harryh813

Jan 11, 2011
I'm fairly new to android and just got the gtablet. I have followed posts on loading a new rom with no luck. I loaded Z4root and installed it, and it never asks to make it a permanent root and when rebooting the gtablet there is no super user. I tried loading clockworkmod version 8 and cannot get into clockwork after rebooting. I downloaded gtab_full_vanilla_system_2010_11_09 and booted that to get my tablet back to stock.

It almost seems to me like it's booting to an image on the SDCARD instead of the SDCARD2. When I connect to my gtab throught the usb cable I can't see the SDCARD, only the SDCARD2.

Hopefully someone can help me get this thing rooted and rom'd.

Thanks in advance,
Harry

I'm fairly new to android and just got the gtablet. I have followed posts on loading a new rom with no luck. I loaded Z4root and installed it, and it never asks to make it a permanent root and when rebooting the gtablet there is no super user. I tried loading clockworkmod version 8 and cannot get into clockwork after rebooting. I downloaded gtab_full_vanilla_system_2010_11_09 and booted that to get my tablet back to stock.

It almost seems to me like it's booting to an image on the SDCARD instead of the SDCARD2. When I connect to my gtab throught the usb cable I can't see the SDCARD, only the SDCARD2.

Hopefully someone can help me get this thing rooted and rom'd.

Thanks in advance,
Harry

Did you run Z4 root after you installed it? You must actually go into your list of apps and select the z4 icon to run it, it should give you a screen that looks like this:

z4root.png

Until you have successfully gotten to that prompt and obtained root access, you will not be able to access your root directory (SDCARD) to install a new ROM.

Upvote 0
Did you run Z4 root after you installed it? You must actually go into your list of apps and select the z4 icon to run it, it should give you a screen that looks like this:

z4root.png

Until you have successfully gotten to that prompt and obtained root access, you will not be able to access your root directory (SDCARD) to install a new ROM.
Yes, I did run it. It said "Running exploit in order to obtain root access..." Then it said "Attempting to apply root", then it rebooted. Also, mine does not look like your image, mine does not have the buttons for temporary and permanent root, only a button that says root.

Upvote 0
Yes, I did run it. It said "Running exploit in order to obtain root access..." Then it said "Attempting to apply root", then it rebooted. Also, mine does not look like your image, mine does not have the buttons for temporary and permanent root, only a button that says root.

if you do not have SuperUser, the root was not successful. it sounds like you are using an old version of Z4, i used the one here:

[APP] z4root - root android in one click from an app - xda-developers

if that still will not work, try SuperOneClick found here:

[APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.5 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers

it is a little more complicated (requires a computer/usb cable) but it should work if Z4root will not.

Reactions: harryh813
Upvote 0
if you do not have SuperUser, the root was not successful. it sounds like you are using an old version of Z4, i used the one here:

[APP] z4root - root android in one click from an app - xda-developers

if that still will not work, try SuperOneClick found here:

[APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.5 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers

it is a little more complicated (requires a computer/usb cable) but it should work if Z4root will not.
Thanks. I downloaded a different version of z4root and installed it. I now have a super user application. I still cannot see the sdcard on my pc when I connect usb storage. When I look at the sdcard and sdcard2 using ES File Explorer, it says empty folder. When I try to install clockworkmod, it does the little envelope with the bar under it and reboots the tablet but clockworkmod doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I downloaded a different version of z4root and installed it. I now have a super user application. I still cannot see the sdcard on my pc when I connect usb storage. When I look at the sdcard and sdcard2 using ES File Explorer, it says empty folder. When I try to install clockworkmod, it does the little envelope with the bar under it and reboots the tablet but clockworkmod doesn't work.

Are you enabling mass storage mode on the tablet after you connect the usb cable? I don't remember the exact layout of the stock OS since I only used it long enough to root, but I am pretty sure it gives you a notification with an exclamation mark in the upper right corner with a prompt once it is connected to a PC.

Upvote 0
Make a backup!? LOL I'l try to figure that one out. Thanks.

if you have ClockworkMod:

1. turn off tablet
2. hold the volume + button and the power button to boot into ClockworkMod recovery. you can let go when you get past the white viewsonic bootscreen.
3. use the volume rocker to move up/down in the menu and select "backup and restore" with the home button. once in the menu, select backup. this will create a copy of your current ROM to fall back on should any issues arise in the future. it will take 5-10 minutes.

if you don't have Clockwork, i would recommend installing it. directions can be found here:
[GUIDE] How To Install ClockworkMod - xda-developers

you cannot create a full backup with the stock recovery.

Upvote 0
if you have ClockworkMod:

1. turn off tablet
2. hold the volume + button and the power button to boot into ClockworkMod recovery. you can let go when you get past the white viewsonic bootscreen.
3. use the volume rocker to move up/down in the menu and select "backup and restore" with the home button. once in the menu, select backup. this will create a copy of your current ROM to fall back on should any issues arise in the future. it will take 5-10 minutes.

if you don't have Clockwork, i would recommend installing it. directions can be found here:
[GUIDE] How To Install ClockworkMod - xda-developers

you cannot create a full backup with the stock recovery.
I do have Clockwork Mod installed. I'll make a backup right now!! Thanks very much for all you you guys help!!! I installed the Vegan mod and it's VERY fast and works great. Now I'm off exploring. Trying to find the messaging app and all.

Upvote 0
I do have Clockwork Mod installed. I'll make a backup right now!! Thanks very much for all you you guys help!!! I installed the Vegan mod and it's VERY fast and works great. Now I'm off exploring. Trying to find the messaging app and all.

Google voice is the only app I have found that works on wi-fi, it won't let you make phone calls, but it works great for texting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones