• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with google contacts

So, I just got home after swapping my Droid for the Eris. So far I'm satisfied, except for one problem. On the Droid after syncing gmail contacts, it imported only the "My Contacts" list, which is how it should be. With the Eris, it imported every contact, "All" and now I have a massive list of all sorts of random email addresses, etc. How do I re-import with only My Contacts? I could do it manually, but not only would this be a huge PITA, I do want those contacts still stored in "All" on my computer, but want them off the phone and not deleted entirely from my account.

Thanks!

I don't know why this behavior is the "default" behavior on the Eris, but I think it's kinda silly. I believe HTC should re-think this for new phones. Anyway, its easy to fix it! Just do this:

Open the "People" app.
Click on the third icon at the bottom, the "Groups" icon.
Hit the "Menu" button.
Select the "Sync Groups" icon on the screen.
Remove the check next to "Sync all contacts".
Check only the groups you wish you sync.

Viola! Best of luck!

Upvote 0
Speaking of groups--how do you sync your groups from Gmail? I've got some contacts stored in the "family" and "coworkers" default groups in Gmail, but they will not sync to my Eris's contacts application.

Hrm, thats weird. I did not have any problems with my contacts sync'ing... Follow my steps above and make sure those two groups are checked on the Sync page. That would be the first thing I would check. If so, I am not really sure.

Best of luck...

Upvote 0
My wife's ERIS doea the same thing from day one. We have wiped and started over 3 times now...no biggie...but always same result. Default "Family", "Friends" and "Coworkers" groups will not even show up in the ERIS's sync groups menu.

We were trying to use the same Google contact list, her ERIS and my DROID, and we finally had to stop because another thing the ERIS seemed to do is....forward it's favorites to my DROID's favorites. And yes, we have verified that neither of us have selected "Starred in Android" as a syncable group.

So now we use separate accounts and will just merge twice a year or so.

If anyone else comes up with any answers it would sure be appreciated

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones