• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help with "how to push for Dummies"

Hamnrye

Nov 8, 2009
I'm using Chevy's SS rom, ver 2.02. There is a link on his page to D/L a Facebook.apk with glass theme. I've got my W7 pc setup to push but can't seem to find simple instructions to push and I'm not sure I've got this down. The instructions posted:

adb shell sysrw
adb push Facebook.apk /system/app
adb shell sysro

Here are my questions. Do I just connect the USB cable or must I also select mounting? Once that is squared away, I open the command prompt on my PC and type these commands. The file is in my C:\android folder. When adding that to the second line do I use traditional dos cmd back-slash or a front-slash, i.e

adb push c:\android\facebook.apk /system/app or
adb push c:/android/facebook.apk /system/app or

something entirely different?
Once I've run that and the final command is there anything else I need to do or will the push overwrite the facebook.apk that is in the system/app on my Droid now? Should I use root explorer to change the name of the current facebook.apk (facebook.apk.old) before doing this or just leave it as it is?

Here are my questions. Do I just connect the USB cable or must I also select mounting? Once that is squared away, I open the command prompt on my PC and type these commands. The file is in my C:\android folder. When adding that to the second line do I use traditional dos cmd back-slash or a front-slash, i.e

Once I've run that and the final command is there anything else I need to do or will the push overwrite the facebook.apk that is in the system/app on my Droid now? Should I use root explorer to change the name of the current facebook.apk (facebook.apk.old) before doing this or just leave it as it is?
[/SIZE]

You don't mount. Just make sure you have USB debugging enabled.

Why don't you move your facebook.apk to the same directory that you have adb in. Then you can follow Chevy's commands word for word.

Upvote 0
I'm using Chevy's SS rom, ver 2.02. There is a link on his page to D/L a Facebook.apk with glass theme. I've got my W7 pc setup to push but can't seem to find simple instructions to push and I'm not sure I've got this down. The instructions posted:

adb shell sysrw
adb push Facebook.apk /system/app
adb shell sysro

Either move the .apk to the AndroidSDK\tools directory, or else don't us drive letters.

so, if you're in your AndroidSDK directory, and you need to move something in another directory, use
Code:
adb push /{path to file}/filename /{location on your phone}

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I had debugging enabled, moved the file to the tools folder and it was pushed to the system/app folder. It appears it does overwrite the existing .apk file. Facebook doesn't look much if any different, once it's pushed is that it? I don't need to install or do anything else?

Upvote 0
That's it.

It saves me a lot of time when I do this sort of thing manually for my apps - rather than having to install all of them, I only end up having to install the ones that are 'protected' so they cannot be copied and installed onto other people's phones.

For an idea on how to easily backup your files using ADB (and get more experience using ADB) check out my post here: http://androidforums.com/all-things...-back-your-apps-your-computer.html#post410524

Also, check out A Blog About Nothing.: Adb for "dummies" and xda-developers - View Single Post - [HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide) for more ADB help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones