• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with identifying app icon ( Peel Smart Remote Icon)

Lethal29

Lurker
Feb 4, 2016
Recently, either an app I have downloaded, or something which has recently updated has caused a white, "floating" remote-like icon to appear on my phone. I can't get rid of it, because whenever I click on it, it effectively blanks out the screen with a see-through black window which covers everything except the very top and bottom and doesn't allow any of the shortcuts, widgets or apps to be pressed.

The attached file shows the icon on the top right hand side, just under the TV folder.

Can anyone identify it please? I want to get rid of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160205-072102.png
    Screenshot_20160205-072102.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 152
Recently, either an app I have downloaded, or something which has recently updated has caused a white, "floating" remote-like icon to appear on my phone. I can't get rid of it, because whenever I click on it, it effectively blanks out the screen with a see-through black window which covers everything except the very top and bottom and doesn't allow any of the shortcuts, widgets or apps to be pressed.

The attached file shows the icon on the top right hand side, just under the TV folder.

Can anyone identify it please? I want to get rid of it.

Hi, welcome to Android Forums.

As it happens someone has raised the same query in the HTC M9 forum regarding this icon. It was found to be due to the app "Peel Smart Remote" and was apparently cleared by opening and closing the app.

Quote from @Jova85 :-
"I figured out where the icon came from. It was from the app 'Peel Smart Remote'. As soon as I clicked on the app, the icon went away.

If you get a similar issue, open up the app 'Peel Smart Remote' and then close it.

Hope that helps!"

(I have the app on my M9, but as I don't use it and it's not possible to uninstall it I have disabled it.)

:)

Upvote 0
Thanks tommo. Funnily enough I wondered if it was that app. It used to be an old app just called TV I think, and when I was trying to work out what had caused this icon to appear I tried opening it, and it asked me to install the Peel Remote, which was the updated version. I wasn't able to select my country so I didn't bother, but this icon had appeared both before and after doing that and the icon didn't match up with the TV app one, so I ruled it out.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones