• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help with loading a ROM

lennydude

Android Expert
May 19, 2010
Maine USA
I have a Droid X with OTA 2.2 with ROOT.

I would like to try a few ROMS that are out there.

Can someone give me a list of needed programs and apps that i would need to go forward..........AND the order in which i should load them?

I have Titanium Backup and have done a backup with it. I have the full 2,2 SBF on my PC with RSDlite.

I know this has probably been asked a million times but a step by step would be nice (for me at least). I am reasonably tech but am a very nervous person.

Sorry for the newbie post but like i said......just nervous :)

Download the Droid X Bootstrap application from the market (or it's available for free on Koush's website, but it's well worth the couple bucks).

Run the application, and the first button says "Install Recovery" or something similar. Click it, it will say "Successful."

Then, you just download any ROM you want onto your SD card. When you want to install one, you launch the Bootstrap application, select "Reboot Recovery" and follow the ROM's installation instructions (some tell you to wipe parts of the system, for instance).

I'd recommend, before installing any ROM, that you select "Reboot Recovery" from the bootstrap application, go to "Backup and Restore" and create a backup of your phone. That way you can always restore it if you have problems.

ROM Manager is an optional application that makes it convenient to download ROMs right from one place. It's not necessary, but it's convenient.

Reactions: lennydude
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones