1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Help with Odin3

1. Chaosnexstacy

Chaosnexstacy Member

Okay so I downloaded everything as per the tutorial as per this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2290798 . I have searched several different sites and many different threads, almost finding my answer. My problem is that when I download the files they show up as image files and not tar. I am having some sort of problem with .tar file name with Odin. I found several links of how to, and great info but none of them are solving my problem. I found a link that almost had what I needed to fix it or was in the right direction, but somehow lost it or closed it. When searching using pda, the files do not appear in the file folder. For some reason they show as images in the file on my desktop. This is before and after extracting to see if either way made a difference. I even re-downloaded the links and they still show as image. I even tried typing it in manually it seemed to find the file but still did not work. I am using winrar one of the links I found said to try win7 or something but I couldnt get that to work either. I just want to root my new toy. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Do you have your computer to auto extract the file?
    The reason I ask, is when I downloaded it, it downloaded as a .tar file and when I extracted the file, there is an .img file in it.
    Perhaps your computer is set to auto extract?
    Chaosnexstacy likes this.
  3. Chaosnexstacy

Chaosnexstacy Member

If it is set that way I dont know how to change it
  4. Mikestony

So, the first file to be downloaded and flashed is VRUAMD2 Prerelease Kernel.
    And when you download it, it doesn't download as this file name?
    SCH-I545_MD2_423399_Kernel.tar.md5

What OS are you running on your computer?
  5. Chaosnexstacy

Chaosnexstacy Member

winblows I mean windows
  6. Mikestony

o.k...
    I hope I am following you correctly, but you don't need to unzip the kernel downloads.:confused:
    So, the first file to be downloaded and flashed is VRUAMD2 Prerelease Kernel.
    And when you download it, it doesn't download as this file name?
    SCH-I545_MD2_423399_Kernel.tar.md5
  7. Chaosnexstacy

Chaosnexstacy Member

When I down load it it shows as a image file as soon as it gets to me I think. Normally I have to unzip stuff to use it, but for some reason its not working the way it normally does. Because of this I cant see the file when searching with the PDA part of Odin.
  8. Mikestony

hmmm, let me see if I can get more eyes on this and more brainiacs to look at this too :)
    Perhaps I am missing something.
    (always good to have another set of eyeballs too)
    Stand by :)
  9. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

I downloaded the file and it showed as a tar for me too. What is the name of the image file you see?

Maybe try downloading it with a different browser too.
    Chaosnexstacy and Mikestony like this.
  10. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

I've just tried downloading the kernel and I get a .tar like Mike so it looks like your computer is auto extracting it for some reason. Can you download the kernel with your phone and then transfer it to your pc to see if it shows up as a .tar?
    Mikestony and Chaosnexstacy like this.
  11. Chaosnexstacy

Chaosnexstacy Member

Unfortunatley I am at work now and cannot try another browser but I will as soon as I get home.
  12. Chaosnexstacy

Chaosnexstacy Member

I can try that now and see when I get home if it works thanks.
  13. Chaosnexstacy

Chaosnexstacy Member

Okay, so I downloaded all the files to my phone and I will try again when I get back home. I hope this works. Thanks again for the help.
    Atma and Mikestony like this.
  14. Chaosnexstacy

Chaosnexstacy Member

Okay so files from the phone worked and Im rooted thanks for all the help.
    Atma and Mikestony like this.