Help with overclocking: What to do?

Last Updated:

1. Illuminator

Illuminator Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,

I finally received my Sprint Hero yesterday and have been using the hell out of it since. Today, I rooted and installed Fresh 2.3.3 and I'm loving it so far--in fact, I'm using wireless tether right now, as where I'm at, I have no internet yet. The thing is, I'm wondering how to overclock now. I've been attempting to read-up on it and it sounds a little complicated, almost as though I need to rewipe my phone and set everything up again. Is this the case?

Looking at this, I've been trying to decipher it:
    [KERNEL][7/22/10]Darchstar's Overclocked Undervolted kernel for senseUI roms vUV 2 - xda-developers

What exactly is a module remover and why do I need to do it? Moreover, I didn't see an option to flash a new kernel (maybe I just wasn't paying attention) when I was in the RA or whatever it's called. Any help or advice would be much appreciated, as I'd love to get my Hero running a little bit quicker. Otherwise, I'm loving the thing so far.

Thanks

(My apologies if this post is all over the place. I'm a bit tired tonight.)

Advertisement
  2. jwpilly

jwpilly Well-Known Member

Looks like you'll need to flash the module remover before you flash the kernel. To flash both of these you need to copy them to the root of your SD card and the boot into RA. Then select flash and flash the two .zip files. Hope that helps.

3. ck4794

ck4794 Well-Known Member

i would just go to the market and get overclock widget, it's worked fine for me and i'm running the same setup

4. Illuminator

Illuminator Active Member This Topic's Starter

I forgot to post. But, I was just having an idiot moment last night and managed to get everything done. Happily running an overclock/underclock now.

5. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

As long as you flash the remover zip, then the kernel specific to your rom you'll be fine, no need to wipe either.

6. JD_from_da_80s

JD_from_da_80s Well-Known Member

I'm rooted but haven't flashed a rom yet, do I have to flash one before I can over/underclock? I found very detailed info to overclocking here but it's for a GSM Hero. Does that matter when it comes to over/underclocking? CK, which widget are you using? Thanks

7. Joehunni

You cannot overclock the stock rom. Just download and flash Nfinite's stock rom from xda then use "Overclock Widget" from the market to overclock it.

8. revtime

revtime Well-Known Member

Can I simply grab the app from the market and run it with Fresh 2.4? Or do I need to add a kernal? Been wondering about this.

Thanks

9. Joehunni

You need the kernel, it can technically be done without it but it causes conflicts and runs like ass.