Help with preloading Nexus 7 to giftSupport

Last Updated:

1. GettingUnstuck

GettingUnstuck New Member

Hi, I was thinking about purchasing a Nexus 7 to give as a gift and thought it would be really cool if I could preload the phone with a bunch of apps, music, and videos (and change the wallpaper to something personal) before I give it to them. That way when the person opens it, they will have all their favorite stuff there already.

Please tell me if I can do this? I can't find any threads on this exact topic, but from what my friend says - you have to register your gmail account when you active the device? I don't want to lock it to MY gmail...

2. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

the nexus 7 isnt a phone and yes you can just skip setting up a gmail account and go straight into using the tablet and setting up wallpaper but apps wont be downloaded installed without a gmail account.
  3. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

For music, videos and pictures, I suggest you attach it to your PC with the USB cable and copy the files you want into the appropriate N7 folders. That is the easiest way.
  4. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Well-Known Member

You can add your gmail account, install the apps then remove your account again. When you remove the account you'll get fearsome warnings that it will remove all contacts etc linked to the account (just as well!) but it leaves the apps behind.

I'm not sure if this is legally dubious. I've done it for family members, though only for free apps and never paid ones.
  5. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

I don't think that there is anything illegal about doing it thay way. It would only be a small problem with purchased apps. Those you could not download again without paying again because your records are gone.
  6. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Some apps have copy protections and probably check to see if the device is authorized on startup. If the purchasers account isn't logged in, the app probably refuses to start.

At least I think that is what happens.