• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root help with recovery image

hey all, i'm a noob with insurance on my phone, and i figure'd i'd root my phone in part for fun, and in part to learn more about tinkering with unixy type stuff.

i searched for this problem but couldn't find anything. i was following the process on rootyourphone.info, successfully rooted, and then the first thing i did was block ota updates (altho his site didn't provide a way of being sure it was done correctly), as at the time i was worried about a possible thursday morning rollout for the update, then i went on with his guide to making a recovery image, which seemed like a good idea.

got about this far:
adb shell
  • Initiate the Unix terminal emulator so that Unix commands may be sent.
dd if=/sdcard/flash_image of=/data/local/flash_image
  • Copies the flash_image file to the Local Data directory.
chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image
  • Changes the permissions to the flash_image file so that anyone can read/execute but only the owner can write to it.
rm /sdcard/flash_image
  • Removes flash_image from your MicroSD card.
su

when i was told that su permission was denied. i had read somewhere that going to the notifications shade and clicking "don't mount" would make it so that you could get su permission. did that, typed the su command again, it worked, then i went ahead with the following commands:

/data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img
  • Flashes the image to the recovery partition.
mount -o remount,rw /dev/null /system
  • Readies the null and System filesystems.
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.bak
  • Renames recovery-from-boot.p to recovery-from-boot.p.bak. FILE MAY NOT EXIST! If your Droid came preloaded from factory with Firmware 2.0.1, these files do not exist. This step is only necessary for Droids which were preloaded from the factory with the original 2.0 Firmware.
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
  • Renames install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.sh.bak. FILE MAY NOT EXIST! If your Droid came preloaded from factory with Firmware 2.0.1, these files do not exist. This step is only necessary for Droids which were preloaded from the factory with the original 2.0 Firmware.
reboot recovery
  • Reboots your Droid into the Recovery Console.

i type the reboot command, then look down at my phone to see if it was rebooting, and realize that a window had popped up asking me if i wanted to allow su permission, and ostensibly that screen had been there while i was typing all of the other comands. when i selected for it to allow, it continued with the reboot command, but came up with the blank triangle-exclamation-point-no-menu screen. i turned the phone off and on, and to my delight, everything worked fine. but i still get that screen when i hold x and turn the phone on.

so i realize that i'm a noob and it was a stupid mistake, but my question is how do i figure out how much of the process i did correctly, and what do i need to do to successfully complete the reboot the image, or to successfully start over.

any thoughts? thanks in advance...

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones