• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with Root Explorer & Titanium Backup

reinbeau

Klaatu barada nikto
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
I'd like to tell Titanium Backup to put the backups on the external SD card, but I'm having a problem understanding Root Explorer.
When using the program, what 'root' am I looking at? The root storage of the internal memory? The internal SD card? The external SD card? I don't know what I'm looking at (that's a scary thought, isn't it?) Any help would be appreciated :)

If you're seeing " / " the top of the screen you're in internal memory root

"/sdcard" is sd card root
Ok, I'm still playing. I did manage to connect my Captivate to USB via the computer, but all I can see is the external SD card, based on what you're telling me here - the contents are the same as when I see /sdcard in Root Explorer. I know I'm pulling my own thread off topic kinda, but can you use the USB connection to see the internal SD card contents? What about what is on the phone itself?

I wish this was like a directory tree, the kind I'm used to, I really feel lost here. What is the sd directory I see under /sdcard? There doesn't seem to be anything in it.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm still playing. I did manage to connect my Captivate to USB via the computer, but all I can see is the external SD card, based on what you're telling me here - the contents are the same as when I see /sdcard in Root Explorer. I know I'm pulling my own thread off topic kinda, but can you use the USB connection to see the internal SD card contents? What about what is on the phone itself?

I wish this was like a directory tree, the kind I'm used to, I really feel lost here. What is the sd directory I see under /sdcard? There doesn't seem to be anything in it.

When you plug your phone in, you will only see what is on the sd card. Reason being that you can only have it mounted in one location at a time. What do you mean by "can you use the USB connection to see the internal SD card contents?" That's the sd card you're looking at (/sdcard). You can't look at anything else under / except on the phone. As far as directories you see under /sdcard, various apps can create directories for their own use. Something must have created that sd directory at some point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones