1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Root Explorer & Titanium Backup

Last Updated:

1. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I'd like to tell Titanium Backup to put the backups on the external SD card, but I'm having a problem understanding Root Explorer.
    When using the program, what 'root' am I looking at? The root storage of the internal memory? The internal SD card? The external SD card? I don't know what I'm looking at (that's a scary thought, isn't it?) Any help would be appreciated :)

Advertisement
  2. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

If you're seeing " / " the top of the screen you're in internal memory root

"/sdcard" is sd card root

reinbeau likes this.
  3. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

You don't need root explorer for that, though (good to have anyway). Titanium Backup will automatically back everything up to /sdcard/TitaniumBackup. You can use any file manager (including root explorer, if you want to) to view that directory.

4. reinbeau

Well, I needed to understand it a bit better and, as it turns out, exactly as you said, akazabam, TB was putting the backups right where I wanted them. Thank you all for your patience :)

5. reinbeau

Ok, I'm still playing. I did manage to connect my Captivate to USB via the computer, but all I can see is the external SD card, based on what you're telling me here - the contents are the same as when I see /sdcard in Root Explorer. I know I'm pulling my own thread off topic kinda, but can you use the USB connection to see the internal SD card contents? What about what is on the phone itself?

I wish this was like a directory tree, the kind I'm used to, I really feel lost here. What is the sd directory I see under /sdcard? There doesn't seem to be anything in it.

6. akazabam

When you plug your phone in, you will only see what is on the sd card. Reason being that you can only have it mounted in one location at a time. What do you mean by "can you use the USB connection to see the internal SD card contents?" That's the sd card you're looking at (/sdcard). You can't look at anything else under / except on the phone. As far as directories you see under /sdcard, various apps can create directories for their own use. Something must have created that sd directory at some point.

7. reinbeau

There is the phone memory, the internal SD card that comes with the phone, and the MicroSD card (call it external) I bought and inserted myself. So I'm looking at that internal card, not the external card? How can you view and deal with the MicroSD card? Or isn't that possible?

8. akazabam

Ok, I need to correct myself. I did a little research on your phone (based on your profile information). /sdcard is the internal sd card and /sdcard/sd is your external sd card. Sorry for the confusion.

9. Rickster-FL

Rickster-FL Member

ok. So folks. Does Titanium backup then place the backups in the "purchased" micro sd/ external SD card? I have run the application and then searched my files and found the titanium backup under the main internal SD card.

Should I install a new ROM, wouldn't it wipe the device clean thus deleting the backup??

Thanks
    Rick

10. reinbeau

You need to tell it to back up to the external sd card. It's in preferences.