1. pmollohan

pmollohan Member

Delete me

Advertisement
    :
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. Motorhead1991

Motorhead1991 Well-Known Member

Don't push the call button when you use the *983 code, just let it run.
  3. mikec628

mikec628 Well-Known Member

My build number for avail z990 is z990v1.0.0b14 that could be the difference and also mine is running android version 2.3.4
    Russ71 likes this.
  4. pmollohan

pmollohan Member

Delete me
  5. mikec628

mikec628 Well-Known Member

just let it sit for about 5 mins you should have seen a little note pop up at the bottom after put in the #s saying waiting for root For about a sec. Have you tried to install superuser and busybox
  6. pmollohan

pmollohan Member

Delete me
  7. neutrontech

neutrontech Well-Known Member

Exact same problem here with the exact same phone
  8. pmollohan

pmollohan Member

Delete me
  9. neutrontech

I don't know why Android devices have these silly limits at all. I had an Archos tablet that was just as bad, and I had to root it to get full functionality out of it. I don't understand why they put such ridiculous caps on things, that requires breaking your warranty to fix. I guess I just have trouble understanding how the developers of so many phones, think that such a small app partition is acceptable.
    jarito likes this.
  10. pmollohan

pmollohan Member

Delete me
  11. Motorhead1991

The Avail has 211mb open in an otherwise empty partition (the /dev partition). This partition has 32kb of files in it... I modified an existing script to move the Dalvik cache to this empty area (but I haven't assembled an update package yet). This can free up the /data partition immensely. One downside to this script is that you can no longer reboot normally (boot into recovery and wipe the dalvik first), and the boot image I've been working on should solve this by having the system automatically move the cache without using a script.
  12. pmollohan

pmollohan Member

Delete me
  13. Motorhead1991

I should have mentioned that... Yes, you gotta be rooted
  14. neutrontech

Any fresh thoughts today? Still no luck here. Not site the tcard flash is even taking.
  15. neutrontech

Should the tcard flash wipe the phone back to factory defaults? Or will all my stuff remain, just with a new kernel?
  16. pmollohan

pmollohan Member

Delete me
    gabrealenicole likes this.
  17. neutrontech

My experience with flashing, also, has always resulted in a system wipe. When I apply the flash, the status bar goes all the way to the end then reboots. It is possible that it pops up an error code, but it's so fast I can't tell. When the phone reboots, everything seems to be the same. This is why I question whether or not the flash even took. Regardless, the 983 codes still do nothing.

It's a shame that their website doesn't list the Merit. You'd think they would list all their models, and not just some of them. This could very well be the reason for it not working.

Thanks for all your help, though.
  18. AsryaKino

AsryaKino New Member

Has there been any progress whatsoever on this? This is the only thread I've been able to find on the phone and specifically, rooting it. I'd really like to be able to use my phone for more than 3 apps, since I can't even download anything with these bloatware files taking up everything. I can't root it to make a new partition with any of the solutions for the avail. So I'm hoping someone's figured something out...
  19. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

wanted to pop in and inform everyone remotly attempted to use teh zte backdoor exploit on asryakino's merrit and didnt seem to work... dunno if they patched it or just changed permissions/password

if youd like to help figure this out the link in my sig and try to stick around for more then 3 mins of hello!?!?! at 4am :p
  20. pmollohan

pmollohan Member

Delete me
  21. dbullmc

dbullmc Member

i have this same phone and the same problem, just wondering if any of you have had any luck so far as to rooting this phone. this is the only place i have even seen anything on the merit. internal memory on this thing sucks :confused:
  22. neutrontech

Been a while, so I was just wondering if anyone had any new information.
  23. stayboogy

stayboogy Well-Known Member

i'm finding conflicting info on here from different threads

some say the have got it rooted, others say no.

but some never specify i they actually have the Straight Talk ZTE Merit, or if they have the ATT ZTE Avail

even though they are the mostly the same phone, they are not exactly alike.

someone who has the ZTE Merit on Straight Talk wireless, please chime in if you have it rooted.
  24. jcase

jcase Well-Known Member

Someone link me to full firmware for it, if not available as much firmware as possible

you can dump system by running

adb pull system
  25. neutrontech

I did the pull from my phone One question before I post it. Does the pull contain just the system firmware, or everything including my personal data.