Help with rooting

Last Updated:

1. mach1man

mach1man Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so im thinking about rooting my eris bc im tired of waiting for the ota update. I called verizon today and they said they had no idea when the update would come, so Im going to do it myself this weekend. I have a few questions though.
    1) where can I get the 2.1 update at. I found a few sites but I dont know if they are trust worthy.
    2) I watched some videos on how to do it and it looks like putting the zip folder on to the sd card and then performing a hard rest. Is this correct?
    3) how hard is it to brick your phone.
    4) will open home and weather widget and the other paid apps still work that I bought?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

seems you have yet another choice to make...... rooted 2.1, or leaked 2.1. TWO different files, Two different processes, Two different end results. do some more reading before jumping in on this......

3. sc00bz

sc00bz Well-Known Member

Download link is in quite a few other threads on the forum. It's on androidmobileos.com. yes you just put it in the root, or main part of the Sd card. Do a hard reset (with phone off, volume down+send and press power) to get to hboot. The whole process takes less than 10 mins.

4. mach1man

ok great so now I know exactly how to do it. Now to the leaked or rooted version I'm thinking rooted 2.1. I've heard that the leak has a lot of bugs, what is the biggest difference between the two?

5. sc00bz

sc00bz Well-Known Member

The rooted one will allow you to install custom roms and uninstall unneeded stock apps. The other won't until its rooted. When you start the process, don't get freaked if it says image not recognized as this is normal. Let it chill until it asks for action. When it does, use the track ball to click.

6. trav473

Just so you're not using it as a basis for a decission, the rooted rom also has bugs, the leaked rom is newer, with different bugs........

7. mach1man

ok. im just trying to figure out what version is the safest bc I really dont wanna brick my phone. I seen some one with 2.1 on eris that showed the clouds from the weather app go across the screen and I thought that was cool. This is soo confusing lol.

8. magicelf

magicelf Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Seems to me, as long as we'll be able to update to the official OS when it's released (hopefully without the bugs), no reason not to update to 2.1. The main reason I want the rooted one is because of the login fix (you don't have to login every time you reboot with rooted 2.1).

Any other bugs showing in rooted 2.1 different than leaked 2.1?

9. trav473

I can't speak for the rooted version, as I have been using the leaked 2.1 sense the night it hit the forums, but both seem really reliable, and simple to install, just depends on what you are going after. both have bugs or we would have 2.1 OTA by know. If you want total control, go for root, but might I recomend doing dome reading and learning before you dig in and start playing around with the kernel files, good way to mess things up real bad.

10. JohnnyThumbz

JohnnyThumbz Well-Known Member

+1

11. mach1man

Im not really looking to mess with the files and really change things. I just want 2.1. Im fine with the way the phone works, but I want 2.1. I seen on youtube that the clouds float across the screen which is awesome. What version will allow you to accept the offical OTA update whenever it gets here?

Also will open home and all of the other apps that I downloaded work?

12. trav473

leaked 2.1 has full screen animations for the weather widget, but the catch to that is, its an HTC widget that uses Sense. you can use open home and all the other apps but you will only get the animations with Sense and the flip style clock/weather widget. as far as updating to OTA, no one really knows for sure cause its not out yet, but common assumptions are both versions are older versions than what will be relased OTA so yes both will get the OTA notice. and as far as the google login issue with the 2.1 leak, I only notice the login when I reboot the phone, I have no need to reboot that often, so its not that big of a deal. I haven't really noticed any other serious issues with the leak.

13. JohnnyThumbz

JohnnyThumbz Well-Known Member

has anyone tried any "rooted-only" apps like Cache Mate? also, Ive been reading about the rooted 2.1 having bugs i couldnt find anything about what the bugs are. has anyone reported on this ?

14. mach1man

In my open home im running the experimantly cube (which works great), so will the cube not work in leaked 2.1? will I be able to do different themes? So with the weather, it just works automaticly I dont have to mess with it to make the weather animations work? Im just trying to get some good info bc Im probably rooting this sunday.

Thank you to everyone who is posting on here.

15. trav473

I'm just taking the the wor from the Dev that wrote this page..... How To Root Your HTC Eris His ver first statement is... This root has bugs our chefs are currently working on a cooked rom for us but until they do please be aware that some things may not work right yet.

I can't andwer you on the open home questions, I would think they would all work fine, themes, custom screens etc, just like on 1.5. maybe with more options. I'm just using Sense. The Weather widget animates when you first unlock the phone, and before you touch anything, takes a second or so to start. Thats the only time you see it.

JohnnyThumbz likes this.
  16. mach1man

Ok great. I wish the weather would show up more like after you unlock the phone that would be great. Well i guess i have to figure out what version I want leaked or root.

17. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

Leak has Navigation. Root does not.

18. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

WHHAAAAA??
    glad i took the leaked route!
    glad :D

19. LexusBrian400

I might have been given some wrong info. Might want to double check it.

20. sierrarot328i

sierrarot328i Active Member

root does have navigation. many people assume that it doesn't because of the force close. there are ways to work around the force close and get the navigation to work.

doesn't sound as good as my tomtom 720 but at least it works.

21. mach1man

Well Idk which one I want yet. I was in Verizon today and there was a district tech rep there and he had the official 2.1 on his phone for testing but still no official date. I'm probably going to go with leak

22. GrdLock

GrdLock Well-Known Member

If all you care about is having 2.1, then you're better off waiting for official releases IMO.

If you want to customize your phone and install custom roms, you should install the 2.1 root.

I see very little reason at all to install the 2.1 leak (non-root) at all now. It could potentially cause issues with installing official releases, it's not final code so it's still got bugs of its own (not that final builds will be bug free, but you know what I mean), and it will prevent you from installing the current root.

23. mach1man

Ok well I really want 2.1 and tired of waiting. Also I wouldn't mind being able to change the lock screen to where it say things like your name on the screen. If I get root or leaked would I be able to update past 2.1 if they ever go past a 2.1 software.

24. LexusBrian400

As long as the build number is higher with the next update, I dont see any reason why it wouldn't work. you should be just fine.

25. Scynthetic78

Scynthetic78 Well-Known Member

Even if the build number isn't higher with the official release, you should be able to get it anyway. You can reflash the leaked rom now, so I'm guessing the phone looks at an identical build number as a recovery or reset rather than a downgrade.