• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

jb254x

Lurker
Dec 24, 2013
Hi all,

I just purchased a Galaxy Tab 3 - 7 inch for my grandchildren and need some help. I have three questions, in particular.

1. I purchased a 32 GB memory card. Is there a way to set the memory card as the default storage location for apps, pictures, movies, etc.?

2. Am I able to move already downloaded applications to the memory card to free up space on the tablet memory?

3. I've purchased some movies from the Play Store. I see that I can play them by clicking the "Play Movies" shortcut. Where are these movies saved though? I've downloaded them but don't know where they are saved to.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi all,

I just purchased a Galaxy Tab 3 - 7 inch for my grandchildren and need some help. I have three questions, in particular.

1. I purchased a 32 GB memory card. Is there a way to set the memory card as the default storage location for apps, pictures, movies, etc.?

2. Am I able to move already downloaded applications to the memory card to free up space on the tablet memory?

3. I've purchased some movies from the Play Store. I see that I can play them by clicking the "Play Movies" shortcut. Where are these movies saved though? I've downloaded them but don't know where they are saved to.

Thanks in advance for your help!

it would help to know what version of the tab 3-- the "regular" tab 3 7.0 (SM-T210) or the Tab 3 7.0 for kids-- ( SM-T2105) I think the menus are quite different. I have the Tab 3 7.0 LTE version, Sprint. (SM-T217S)

2/ No, you can't move apps to the sd card. There may be some value on moving them to the so called SD Card partition in memory, but some forum participant wiser than me will have to say yes or no to that.

here are links to the support section at Samsung

tab 3 7.0 Kids version Support - Wi-Fi Tabs SM-T2105 | Samsung Galaxy Tab

tab 3 7.0 Support - Wi-Fi Tabs SM-T210R | Samsung Galaxy Tab

Meanwhile, some partial answers.

1/ Yes, you can make the sd card the default location for pictures and movies- go to settings in whatever picture gallery / video player you're using and look for it. You can't save apps to SD unless you root the device. Unfortunately , it's confusing since android 4.0. You can run apps like apps to sd, it will tell you what apps can be moved, and move them-- but they aren't on your sd card. They are still in memory, on some memory partition that some %^$## idiot decides to call "sd card"..so, be sure with the movies, pics, music, documents, etc that you are selecting "external sd card" for the location.

2/ No. You can move them to a partition of the memory called SD Card, but not the external card ( unless you root the tab- and even then I'm not certain if you can do it with Samsung Tabs or all Samsung Tabs. Whether or not there is some value in moving them internally, I'm not sure- someone more knowledgeable than me will hopefully comment on that.

3/ If your version of the Tab 3 comes with the My Files app, run that and use the search function. If not, go to Google Play and get a file manager.

2 good free ones: ES File Explorer, Astro File Manager

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones