Help with setting up email accounts please :)

Last Updated:

1. AtsukoPanda

AtsukoPanda Member This Topic's Starter

Ok,
    so I'm new to the whole Smartphone thing (my last phone didn't even go on the internet!) so I don't know if I'm missing something really obvious but anyway...

I'm trying to se up both my hotmail and yahoomail email accounts so as I can view my messages on my Desire but I'm not having any luck.

When I go into Messages and enter my email and correct password I keep getting the message:

'Cannot connect to the mail server to verify your account information. Your server is not responding'.

What do I have to do to sort this out? The HTC Desire online manual is very vague and brief with anything regarding troubleshooting.

Advertisement
  2. WozzaX

WozzaX Well-Known Member

Can you post what settings your putting in minus your username and password obviously?

Thanks

3. Zarch

Zarch Well-Known Member

Have you considered getting a googlemail account and having gmail pick up mails from both your yahoo and hotmail account?

I have gmail go and fetch mail from 3 different accounts and it works a dream, plus you can use google contacts etc seamlessly on the Desire.

4. AtsukoPanda

AtsukoPanda Member This Topic's Starter

I am just using the automatic settings it comes up with, so Choose a mail provider > Other (POP3/IMAP) > then entering my email address and password > click 'next' > message appears as stated above (when trying to sign in with hotmail) and 'Authentication Failed. Please verify your username/password' when trying to sign in with my yahoo mail account (even though I'm certain the email and password are spelt correctly.)

I think I set up a gmail account years ago ... is it easy to sync your other accounts to it then? So you get all your mail sent to gmail, then sync your gmail to your Desire you mean?

5. Zarch

Zarch Well-Known Member

Yes, piece of cake to get gmail to fetch mail from other accounts. Just go into settings - accounts and import.

Then as you say, set your desire up with your gmail account and you'll get all your email in one place.

kopite72 likes this.
  6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

The hotmail, is it a .co.uk or .com?

7. hippy247

hippy247 Well-Known Member

I have found that a lot of people fail to change the port numbers. Most of the providers use different port numbers than the ones that come up on the desire. I had the same problem until I changed my port numbers.

8. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

You don't need to enter a hotmail.com detail manually, but you do for a .co.uk

9. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

Make sure the pop server is set to pop3.live.com with SSL turned on and smtp server is set to smtp.live.com with TLS on.

This doesn't come through on the auto settings!

10. niamh

niamh New Member

oops

11. Bully74uk

Bully74uk Well-Known Member

I will need to do this with my email account (sky) when I get my desire in 2 weeks.

Do you know if there is any delay from the time an email enters my sky account to when it is imported and pushed to the Desire from Gmail ?

12. slim_jim

slim_jim Member

Thanks Zarch, my biggest gripe with desire was setting up email accounts - unsuccessfuly, but your tip sorted it right out ( get gmail to fetch if ) . That's why its worth joining forums - great tips !

13. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar situation with regards to my email.

If I was to fetch my hotmail emails via my gmail account, would it only do this on the Desire? Or would it also do this on my PC and laptop? I use Windows Live Mail on my PC and laptop as my main e-mail address is a hotmail one.

14. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

If you set up your gmail to fetch mails using POP then the emails will remain on the original server as well. When on your PC you can log into your Windows Live Mail as usual and you won't notice any difference.