Help with Smoked Glass reflash

Last Updated:

1. moynihan1129

moynihan1129 Active Member This Topic's Starter

First off, sorry if this has been posted. I searched all over and couldnt find it so if it is, no need to answer. Just point me in the right direction please.

Ok - New to rooting- Sick of waiting for 2.1 ota and wanted to wireless tether, and OC.

I rooted and installed the newest smoked glass rom 6.0.1 and accidentially removed some apps I didnt want removed. IE youtube. I heave searched about how to restore youtube and I do know how to do it and start over. Is there a way to get youtube back and keep my customized homescreens and new apps? I have searched here and droidforums.net but most posts say "just reflash." Anyone have a little more specifics? I just dont want to lose all my paid apps and customization time. Any help is appreciated...

Advertisement
  2. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

You could create an advanced Nandroid archive of your present setup... takes about 5 minutes.

Install AdamZ ROM again from fresh.... only the basics... no need to set the whole things up.

Use adb to pull the youtube.apk from the newly installed ROM.

Restore your Advanced Nandroid archive that you created 15 minutes before.... then using adb push the youtube.apk back onto your system.

Simple... done.

Unless someone has a link to the youtube installer.

3. moynihan1129

This may be a stupid question but what is ADB?

4. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

That is a scary question from someone that has already rooted. It is the Android Debug Bridge that allows you to perform commands on your phone from your PC. Do yourself a favor read as much as you can about rooting. When problems arise (and they will) you will be glad you did.

http://rootyourdroid.info/guides/android-debug-bridge/

Here is another important link:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/45764-guide-s-everything-root-related.html

5. moynihan1129

Thanks. I have been trying to get in that site all day but the bandwith limit has been exceeded.

6. DroidSuks

Ok... having knowledge of ADB (Android Debugging Bridge) is something that, as the owner of a rooted / custom ROM'd phone, one should most certainly have... at least a cursory knowledge of. Why?.. because when things go wrong... adb WILL save you. Because the first thing that's going to happen is when that post eventually comes the inevitable response is going to be is:... "plug your phone into your computer and adb to it.......

So here is some reading material:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/55843-read-before-you-root.html

[ HOW TO ] ADB AND WHY I LOVE ADB commands <3 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

http://rootyourdroid.info/guides/android-debug-bridge/ This is down at the moment... but it will be back up.

The people in this forum are great... really they are. Generally we can walk you through everything and anything. But this is a vital piece that you WILL need eventually for us to help.

Hope this helps your endeavor.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Dammit Neil... ;)

7. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

8. moynihan1129

Thanks guys. Everything is working beautifully. I was one of the users that was gonna wait for the ota but now I'm regretting not rooting sooner!!

9. DroidSuks

Remember.. get Android SDK installed on your machine and plug that phone in and start learning.

It only makes our community stronger. ;)