1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with SSH and VNC

Last Updated:

1. Tyree

Tyree Member This Topic's Starter

I'm hoping someone can help me get this running. I'm one of those folks running RealVNC with encryption and now that I have an android phone with no way of doing VNC encryption with RealVNC server, I need a new way to encrypt the connection.

So, I've been doing tons of reading and some doing to go along with it. But, I still have no working solution.

My current route is ConnectBot on the phone and Cygwin/OpenSSH on my pc to form an SSH tunnel for the encryption portion. And then, VNC through that tunnel.

Alas, I haven't gotten the SSH portion running yet.

I do IT related work all the time. But this stuff is so convoluted. I use Windows nearly exclusively and this Linux/Cygwin stuff just makes my brain pop. It's just not intuitive at all. At least that's my opinion. I'm used to GUIs and a more "led" way of setting things up. This command line stuff requires that I know the commands to input and WHEN and WHERE to input them.

I have read several guides and tutorials that fill in some blanks, but nothing that has gotten me going. I always hit a roadblock somewhere and can never quite connect all the dots. There are a few ways to skin the cat evidently.

I have gathered that my goal is to create a key on the ssh server, then copy that key to my phone. I did so and ConnectBot said there was a problem parsing the key when I tried to import it. So, I gave up trying to do it on my own. I need some help!

Is there anyone out there that has been successful in setting up an SSH tunnel to a Windows PC? I think once I get the tunnel going, setting up the VNC to go through it should be pretty easy. Just an IP and a port set up in the tunnel, right?

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    Matt

Advertisement
  2. Tyree

Tyree Member This Topic's Starter

No one? :-(

3. rhippler

rhippler Well-Known Member

actually I believe you create the keys on the phone then you copy the public key to ~/.ssh/authorised_keys file. then set PasswordAuthentication no
    in the sshd_config file located in /etc.