1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

help with the lookout app

Last Updated:

1. longhornchica05

longhornchica05 Active Member This Topic's Starter

ok so i did a search and couldnt find anything on this so im sry if this is a double post...

sprint had to order me a replacement phone bc my hero was defective, so before i got it i downloaded the lookout app and backed up my contacts... well i got my new hero activated last nite and downloaded the app and now im having the hardest time trying to restore my contacts!! has anyone been able to restore successfully? if so, id appreciate any tips!

also, i didnt realize that all the contacts had to be saved under google in order for them to sync... but now im just trying to figure out how to transfer my contact from this lookout app so i dont have to input them one by one bc that would be such a hassle...

again, any help is very much appreciated!! thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with this app but give us some more details to see if it helps. i.e what happens when you try to download the contacts back on to your phone? :)

3. BlueScreenOfLife

BlueScreenOfLife Active Member

I'm not familiar with this app., either. Are you able to export what contacts you do have backed up with this app. to a .csv file?

4. longhornchica05

well the problem is fixed now bc i kept messing with it, but for future reference here's what the deal was...

i had to get a replacement phone bc the hero i had was defective, so i downloaded the lookout app, which is an antivirus and it scans everything in your phone to make sure its safe for the phone. it also backs up pics and contact too and what u have to do is create a login name on mylookout.com and it creates a profile with anything you've backed up... so basically you can view all ur pics and contacts online...

well i got the app and backed up all my contacts and pics and when i got my new phone activated, i re downloaded the app and tried to do a restore but wasnt able to. it says it was trying to connect to my phone to do the restore but the connection failed. what i didnt realize was that i had to select the phone i was trying to do the restore on bc it doesnt automatically pick it up...

sounds kinda confusing... and i definitely was confused myself, but after messing with it, it finally worked and connected and i was able to restore all my contacts!

i hope this can help someone!!

5. BlueScreenOfLife

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Just F.Y.I. - not to divert you from an app. you're familiar with or may enjoy - if you haven't rooted your phone, an anti-virus is relatively useless. Should you ever come across an app. down the road that you like better than your current one - something that just allows for backup and remote security, perhaps - then rest assured your phone has little threat against malicious code. Now, if you're phone is indeed rooted, I can understand your interest in an app. such as mylookout. :)

Take care

6. longhornchica05

what does it mean to have a phone rooted? and how do i do it?

sorry im not that great with all the mechanics of everything... lol

thanks!!

7. BlueScreenOfLife

A quick search will yield a slew of topic covering this subject at a more in-depth description.

Simply, "rooting," is obtaining root access to your devices operating system. Without root access, malicious code can do noting to your device as it cannot write to your firmware. When you obtain root access, much like you would be able to, malicious code would have complete access to your device.

If you're not interesting in getting into anything that would require you to obtain root access to your system, then I would advise against it. Unless you just like tinkering around while knowing what you're doing.

Hope this helps

rodrigt likes this.
  8. longhornchica05

oh wow that does help a lot... i prolly wont do it bc knowing me id screw up my phone really bad... lol

and why would anyone want to root their phone if its an open door for a malicious code to access the phone? that seems bad... but then again like i said, im not into this stuff so yea...

but thanks for all ur help!! really appreciate your time! :)

9. BlueScreenOfLife

It's more of a drawback when having root access to your device than it is a deterrent. Much like any personal computer, Apple included, the threat of virus, trojan, worms, etc. are relatively high. This being the case, millions of people still use those devices. Also, there aren't a whole lot of "bad" files floating around that affect the Android (read: Linux) platform to justify being completely bulletproof and blocking root access to a device.

No sweat - That's why this forum is here. It's helped me a great deal, as such, I have no hesitation to provide whatever assistance I can. :)

rodrigt likes this.
  10. Flexilis

Flexilis Member

If you're having any issues with Lookout, be sure to email support at support [at] mylookout [dot] com so that they can take care of you. :)

11. longhornchica05

yes i did that yesterday and after that my problem was solved... thanks!!! :)

12. Flexilis

Flexilis Member

no prob, we're always glad to help!

13. iawd1

iawd1 Well-Known Member

I am having issues restoring my contacts to my droid. From online. It says "these contacts will be restored the next time your device connects.

But device.... not seeing the ones I restored. Problem.

14. roanmic

roanmic New Member

hi! having difficulty in restoring my contacts to my x10.. can you post what you did for lookout to restore your contacts... thanks!

15. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

I'm sure if you go to the lookout website and sign in, I'm sure there will be information for you there on how to get your contacts back. If not, email them;) Lookout has always responded to my emails:)

roanmic likes this.