Help With Titanium Backup

Last Updated:

1. burntorangefan

burntorangefan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, totally a noob here...trying to learn all I can about the Rooted Droid. I've tried a couple of great ROMS, but each time I download and install a new one, I'm following the instructions and wiping everything. Although I thought I'd backed up appropriately with Titanium, my contacts always revert back to when I first bought the phone - they obviously didn't get backed up. Am I just missing something in Titanium, or is there a better way to save contacts and things like that? Also, are all of you literally starting from scratch each time you reboot with a new ROM - i.e. Are you literally having to start the "Welcome to the Droid", signin to Gmail, etc. screens or am I the only one? Any advice is greatly appreciated...Thanks to anyone who helps in advance...

Advertisement
  2. GideonX

GideonX Guest

Contacts are backed up to your Google account. Have you checked in settings to make sure that is sync'd? You can always log into your Google account on a computer and see if your contacts are on there.

I don't wipe data when loading a new rom, so I usually don't need to start from "scratch".

burntorangefan likes this.
  3. KaveMahn

KaveMahn Active Member

Your contacts I believe are stored on the google servers. Everytime you install a new rom and wipe data you will have to sign back in to your google account. I always wipe thrice before I install a new rom. Not sure if any of this helped but maybe someone more experienced will chime in.

burntorangefan likes this.
  4. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

Didn't see it mentioned above, but when you first sign in with your email account...it also offers you the option to sync your apps. I choose this as well. I ALWAYS wipe between ROMs (about every 2 days lately...LOL). Once I install a new ROM, I sign in with my gmail account, and let the phone sit for 1/2 hour to sync contacts, calendar, and apps. It usually installs almost ALL the apps I had on there. Then, I just have to rearrange my screens and I'm good to go :)

5. jjfreak5

jjfreak5 Active Member

I have a question about titanium backup. How do you guys determine what system settings to backup? Do you guys just back all system settings and all apps or just all apps or what?

Thanks

6. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

In Batch, I always choose "Restore missing apps + all system data" and the option to restore apps and data -- BUT, I then carefully go through the list and UNCHECK anything in red font. All the items in white and green font are fine to restore. The red items are system data that likely will cause problems from ROM to ROM.

I confirmed this for myself last night when, as I was testing a new ROM version for a dev, I allowed Talk 1.3 (which was in red) to restore along with all the other white and green items. This was from one version of the same ROM to the next. My Talk then failed authentication over and over. I went into Manage Applications, cleared data, and then was able to log in to Talk successfully. So do yourself a favor and don't restore any items in red!

And one additional thing: make sure that, in TiBu Preferences, you have "Force to same location" checked BEFORE you restore. That will ensure that, if you had apps on the SD card before, they will be restored to SD card and not your device.

Gulfstream and Amrov like this.
  7. topdj

topdj Well-Known Member

I just donated for the license , when it arrives where do I put it in the app???
    and it said something about updating busybox so I said yes, but I have not recieved the lice key yet.

8. KaveMahn

KaveMahn Active Member

You will need to put the license info on the root of the sd card.

topdj likes this.
  9. Amrov

Amrov Well-Known Member

What is the difference between backing up using nandroid vs. Titanium? I've got 3 backups working now -- first MyBackupPro, then Titanium and also nandroid. Trying to cover all the bases. But which do I want to use first in case I need to do a restore? Would Titanium do all? (I'm assuming that Titanium probably supersedes MyBackupPro.)

What I really want is something that puts my home screens all back the way I have them... will Titanium do that?