• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with Titanium backup

caverman

Dec 24, 2012
I have a rooted AT&T Galaxy S3. I've installed Titanium and have done a backup. However, every time I start up the app I get a message "Your system settings will prevent you from restoring applications. To correct this, go to your phone's Settings, then in Applications" and tick the "Unknown Sources" checkbox.

Thing is...I don't have an applications | unknown sources.

Anyone know where I need to go to in order to make the necessary change so I can restore my app data if I need?

Reviving an old thread but I have a related question - I, too, have only downloaded apps (thus far) from the Play Store. Why does Titanium (free version only, according to their FAQ's) require that "Unknown Sources" be checked in order for the program to be able to restore apps?

Is it because the ROM we flashed (in my case, Harmonia) loaded some "unknown source" apps on our phones? Or.....?

The other thing is, I DID check "Unknown Sources" after receiving the Titanium warning, but the warning still comes up every time I open the program. Why? And I imagine this means I won't be able to restore from the Backup. Luckily, I primarily wanted Titanium because of its ability to delete unnecessary apps. I can still use My Backup Pro for actual backups that CAN be restored, but this is rather puzzling!

Holly

Upvote 0
I believe it is because at least one of your apps is not linked to the Play Store. And it recognizes that.

Could be...I just rooted my phone yesterday and everything was formatted/wiped except for the SD card. Not sure what might have been installed with the ROM, but I have only gone to the Google Play store for my apps, so, who knows!

I still think it is odd that because it detects ONE app that might not be from the Play Store, Titanium won't back up ANY of the apps on my phone! Why wouldn't it just skip that particular app?

(Oh, and I went into Titanium again and this time it didn't give me the "Unknown Source" warning; must have finally updated!)

Holly

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones