Help with unlocking please?General

1. pia2989

pia2989 Member

Hi, I currently have a Black SGS2 and I'm going to pick up a white one tonight - it's locked to o2 and I'm on Vodafone.

Before I go and hand over my cash I want to make sure there is a way to unlock the phone without using an o2 sim?

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Yes you can unlock it, but you would need to be rooted.
    Guide
    pia2989 likes this.
  3. skimminstones

skimminstones Well-Known Member

4. pia2989

pia2989 Member

That's great - I'll have a look at that tonight. Just to confirm - I can root the phone without an o2 sim?

Thanks

5. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

yes, rooting does not require a sim card of any description
  6. pia2989

pia2989 Member

7. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

If you're rooted, copy the /efs/nv_data.bin file to your PC and follow the instructions here to do it manually.
  8. pia2989

pia2989 Member

I don't even know what rooted means lol .. he just told me that it's been rooted. would i need to re root it?
  9. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

10. pia2989

pia2989 Member

Thanks for that. I've taken my phone to a local phone shop they couldn't unlock it..they wanted to keep out overnight which I didn't want to do. Plus wanted
  11. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

There are a few sites that will send you the unlock code for
  12. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Can you see the /efs folder in a file manager? I'm not sure if My Files will let you see that far into the file system, but ES File Manager will and is free. If you can copy that nv_data.bin file to your PC and email it to me I'll grab the unlock code for you.
  13. rilex8414

rilex8414 New Member

14. jeremy_inc

jeremy_inc Well-Known Member

That app didn't work for me either, but i used the other app he mentions in the app description and it worked (O2)