• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help help with unrooting

S

sugapuff2

I have rooted my phone using kingroot but then I decided I wanted to do a factory reset. I thought that this would automatically unroot the phone and delete kingroot but when it came back on after factory reset kingroot was still there and the phone is still rooted I have researched unrooting options and was told to use superSU but when I open superSU it says something about binary is missing and superSU can't install it. So I don't know how to unroot my phone help! Plz

This is a Chinese TCL phone. Carrier house branded versions, as well as Alcatels can be a problem. I know it's too late for the OP, but my advice is DO NOT ROOT phones manufactured by TCL! Otherwise you might be looking at buying a new phone, that's it. OP could contact Vodafone, see if they can do anything.

BTW the manual states "manufactured for Vodafone by TCT", that's a misprint, it should read "TCL".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have used Kingroot before but never left it on my phone. If you look in the Kinguser app, the one that grants root permissions, in settings, is there a option to "Fully Unroot"?

i did the same thing but with LG G2 and everyting went just fine, after that i have done factory reset and later i checked with root checker is the phone rooted and it said that is not rooted.

Upvote 0
i did the same thing but with LG G2 and everyting went just fine, after that i have done factory reset and later i checked with root checker is the phone rooted and it said that is not rooted.

An LG G2 is a known and very well documented device, where the manufacturer does provide firmwares you can download and flash, and there's third-party custom ROMs as well. TCL and Vodafone do not, and so it's basically dead in the water. Unless their service agents can do it...£££

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh come on man there must be someone who knows what I can do :(
A couple of suggestions were offered here. You'll have to access a computer somehow to use the XDA method linked earlier, or contact Vodafone and see if they can assist. Are those suggestions out of the question?

Upvote 0
Oh come on man there must be someone who knows what I can do :(

Well I'm the one who probably knows most about carrier version OEM China phones on AF. I'm British and I'm in China. :thumbsupdroid:

Vodafone supplied the phone, they're like the only ones who can flash the required original manufacturer's firmware. No good asking TCL for it. That's if @KOLIO 's Play Store suggestion doesn't work.

FYI this is who made the Vodafone 785
http://www.tcl.cn/
In many Western markets they're usually branded as "Alcatel".

And FWIW I wouldn't even buy a TCL phone here in China!

Once upon a time I was a Vodafone subscriber, now I'm with China Unicom. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikestony and KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones