Help with updating rooted Droid (2.0.1) to Android 2.2Support

Last Updated:

1. nerofmx

nerofmx Member This Topic's Starter

Hello. I have my droid a855 with Android 2.0.1, and it is rooted. However, I would like to update to Android 2.2 and then root with that OS. Would anyone be able to help me out with this? I thought originally I would just be able to go into System Update in the settings and click update, but I guess the root has blocked that from being an option.

Thanks for your time...

Advertisement
  2. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be to download ROM Manager from the Market and use it to go to stock 2.2. After installing RM, the Download ROM option has a Stock Images option. You can go to FRG01 and Maintain root. I would caution that if you go this route, VZW will try and push FRG22 out to your phone and if you accept you will lose root, but there are several good sets of instructions to get root back. I personally prefer the stock image to a custom ROM. It just seems to run smoother on my phone. Also the stock kernel allows overclock to 800MHz, if you use an OC program to set your speeds (such as SetCPU) there are 7 slots built into the stock kernel. So in essence, you can have a 99% stock device and still have root and OC. Anyway, I hope this helps.

BigRedGonzo

3. nerofmx

nerofmx Member This Topic's Starter

Well that is alright if they unroot me. I have just been rooting people's 2.2 phones, so I am educated how to do that. Thanks for the help!