2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Integraoligist likes this.
  3. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

i think you might want to consider the nokia n8 (i've got one myself) or e7

- google voice is available
    - n8 has got the best camera on any phone
    - comes with free navigation, which unlike google nav, doesn't need a network connection to work and it's available for a boatload of countries, unlike google nav, which only supports a few
    - flash is there, tho' as of now only on the rubbish default browser (they are updating it soonish and by what i've heard, the new one is actually going to be good)
    - the e7 has a physical keyboard (camera not as good as on n8)

gorilla glass means you won't be able to scratch it if you wanted to (check some videos on youtube)

nokia recently announced a streamlining of their update path of symbian, which basically means these phones will be updated for a long time

4. Integraoligist

Integraoligist Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so with the new LTE phones coming out in January, other then being able to use the 4g network (which i have 50mi. south of Chicago and will probebly be 2013 before it will be aavalible down here) will any of them be better equiped then the X?

Also, i just read that all the Droids (1, 2, X) use the Gorilla Glass... is that correct?

I've been searching for the n8 and e7... it dosent look like 1. it's used in the USA and 2. is on Verizon.... do you know of any plans of them coming to VZ?

Thanks for the help guys!

5. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

6. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

nearly any Android phone you can purchase is going to satisfy all those needs... with the exception of Flash... as mentioned youll need to look at phones with 2.2 available for Flash (2.2 is available on most of VZWs current offerings)........ the Droid2/DroidX/Incredible are all 3 very nice phones.... youll find plenty of people with great things to say about them all

as far as the Insurance goes..... IMO its a total ripoff for NEARLY everyone... I say nearly as there are exceptions...... if you are the type of person who is likely to run your phone through the washer the day after you buy it....... then its for you......but here is why I generally say its a ripoff:

(bare in mind I dont have the numbers right in front of me, this is based on the last time I checked, its possible they may have changed)

lets say you purchase the HTC incredible which is going to be I believe $100 after the contract rebate and your new every 2 discount.......

insurance is going to cost you $8/month w/ $89 deductible

so if you drown your phone in month number 3 you with insurance your total replacement cost is $114 (3 mos x $8 + $89)... more than you paid for the phone to begin with....... now you say thats not the point, the point is it would cost you more than $114 to replace the phone...... I agree......

now look at month 9 ..... total replacement cost $152 (9 mos x $8 +$89).... 9 months from now you will easily be able to replace it from Ebay or Craigslist for $150 or less...... so anything beyond 9 months is wasted money... you might say youd be getting a used phone from those sources in most cases, but thats exactly what youll be gettin from an Insurance replacement, a used phone that was sent back because it had problems

so if you have to replace your phone the first month then sure you hope you have the insurance........ anything beyond 6 mos IMO is a wash....... and that doesnt even mention the fact that odds are good you wouldnt get the same phone as a replacement..... for example a couple of months ago Droid users who had insurance claims were getting a LG Ally as their replacement (this has since changed I know, but that doesnt help those it happened to)

7. Integraoligist

Integraoligist Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ahh, fully understand where your coming from with the insurance.

Ok, So i'm going to go ahead with the X or 2... my new question is, is the price going to drop in the next month? because of Christmas and a few other new phones coming out?

I was trying to look up the past years for the cell phone market... to see if prices of phone actualy DROP or will they just stay where they are until the phones are no longer made?

8. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

That, along with new device releases, pricing changes, etc are anyone's guess. You can check the standard rumor mills if you want but keep in mind that you really can't count much on rumors.

They're supposed to replace it with an "equivalent" device if your device isn't available. Granted, what they consider equivalent and what you consider equivalent may not be the same thing...

Worth is always subjective no matter what the topic is and insurance for mobile devices is no different. No one can tell you if the insurance is worth it to you or not. That's a call that you need to make for yourself. The warranty is irrelevant. Warranties and insurance do not cover the same things. Warranty won't cover losing the device, damage, etc. Insurance won't cover manufacturing defects which the warranty covers. Make sure you understand what covers what.

Not sure why everyone seems to think this but Google Maps Nav isn't the only nav solution on Android. If you need a nav app that doesn't rely on a data connection for maps there are apps such as CoPilot Live.

Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant. It is not unscratchable. Google around and you'll find examples of scratched Gorilla Glass screens.

Ignore any any "scratch test" video that uses keys. Keys aren't harder than glass so of course they won't scratch it just as a wet noodle won't scratch glass.

...and also keep in mind that your carrier isn't the only option for insurance. IIRC, Square Trade, for example, doesn't replace your device but provides some sort of payout. I don't use them and I'm not recommending them. I'm just saying consider all your options.

9. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

copilot costs an arm and a leg; ovi/google navigators are free

no solid matter is unscratchable if you apply enough force, but the point is that gorilla glass is highly scratch resistant - sure you can get it scratched, but you won't have to take good care of it like you do a traditional plastic/glass display which get ****ed up really easily (like keys in the pocket)