HelpGeneral

Last Updated:

1. labnjab

labnjab Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im not sure what topic to post this under so please move it if you need to but here's my issue.

I have had my eris since last November and for a while now the low on space icon keeps popping up. I deleted some programs and cleared the caches that were bigger and even did the htc.socialnetworks.profiles clearing. I also deleted all text messages as well.

The icon went away for awhile but now its back and Im not sure what to delete and or clear next.

I was wondering if rooting my phone would get rid of this problem all together or not even bother rooting. I have been reading up on it and I am on the fence about it since my fiance and I are getting new phones again in I believe april.

My eris though is slow at times and I just have always wondered if I can make it faster, and oh and the other issue I am having is that whenever I make a call to my fiance during a call it will say I called him again then I have to hang up and call back it says that I call him again on his end as well we were wondering how to solve that issue.

Sorry if this post is confusing and thank you for any help.

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Hi labnjab, and welcome to the forum.
    Try this thread for answers to some of your questions.
    http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/185206-low-space-notification-problem-help.html

My guess (emphasis on 'guess') is that you're running out of space due to sms messages. If that's true, then deleting those will make that particular message go away.
    Myself, and many others, believe that rooting your phone will make most of the lag go away. I had the same problem with the dialer that you do with yours, which is what finally drove me to root - I've been VERY happy with that decision.

IF you root, then the low on space message would likely go away also, simply because rooting will wipe all data off your phone (not the SD card), so whatever is filling it up will most likely be gone. However if the problem is really due to too many sms messages, then it will eventually come back. A little periodic 'housekeeping' in that area will keep things running smoothly.

3. labnjab

Thank you. I saw that thread after posting mine felt silly asking the same thing. It sounds like rooting is what I am going to end up having to do. I have been reading and saw there is a way to root a phone and upgrade to froyokaos through the phone is that something I should try? I am pretty good with computers the only thing stopping me from rooting is that I dont want to brick my phone since its the only cell phone I have. I read over the instructions and it looks simple, I just dont want to ruin my phone. Can you help me find the easiest way to go about trying this? Thank you again for your advice.

4. Podivin

This is the easiest way to root
    http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...is-app-apk-no-pcs-no-scripts-needed-easy.html
    This is not a free app, its a try before you buy app. If this app works for you, and you are happy with it. You are required to donate a meal to a homeless youth, or any amount of money to a youth outreach type program.

If you're reasonably good with computers then I'd say you have about zero chance of bricking your phone. Folks who don't appear to be technical at all have had luck with root.

Kaos is a good ROM. If you've been looking around you've also seen the xtrSense and xtrROM are both highly regarded. I'm currently using Nonsensikal (a 2.2 ROM) and I'm liking it so far (after about 24 hours). It's hard for anyone else to tell you what the 'right' ROM is for you, so much of it is personal preference. What is a minor problem on a ROM for some folks might be a major problem for you. For instance I don't use a ROM where there is a known issue with the camera. I like to take quick pictures with my phone, so that particular problem will keep me away from a ROM. Others never use the camera on the phone so it's a non-issue for them.

labnjab likes this.
  5. labnjab

Thank you again. Im gonna take the plunge and try it now. Hopefully it all works out.

6. Podivin

I'm sure you'll be fine, however you might want to consider reading this thread (either before or during the rooting process). It shows quite nicely what might go wrong (steps forgotten by the rooter) while rooting, and how to correct it.
    Hat's off to Scary for his aid in helping this person. :)

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/175747-rooting-now.html

7. labnjab

thank you again that post helped me out a lot I am rooted now. I did the rootme.zip should I now look for that Nonsensikal rom since I still have the low on storage space icon.

8. Podivin

Yea! Welcome to root! :)

Nonsensikal is here [ROM][9/22] Nonsensikal v7.5 [Froyo|Black|Blue|Vanilla] - xda-developers
    Note that 7.5 has been noted to have a camera problem, and many folks have gone back to 7.0 until that problem has been corrected by the dev. It's up to you which one you'd like to use (as you may have guessed from my example above, I'm on 7.0, I chose the Blue theme)

When you flash your first ROM is when your phone will be wiped of all data (and every time you flash a ROM after that).

If you haven't already, make a nand backup of your phone the way it is now, just so you have a 'safe' place to go back to.

I'd also suggest getting Titanium Backup from the Market, it's a good way to backup your apps and settings. Note that some settings don't transfer well from a 2.1 ROM to a 2.2 ROM. Overly simplified, if it's a system app don't try to transfer your data from 2.1 to 2.2 (or 2.2 to 2.1). If it's a market app then the data should transfer OK. If you go with Titanium, then I'd also recommend spending the few bucks to get the paid version. It allows batch restoring (all or many apps at one time) otherwise you have to restore one at a time.

Keep in mind that the first time you reboot your phone after loading a new ROM it will take much longer to boot than normal. Be prepared to wait as long as 10 minutes before you start to panic. :)