• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I've had my phone (desire) know for about a month and a half.
First two weeks it was heaven four and a half wow - wow wow wow wow wc . last three its been hell. three and a half buggy - buggy buggy bug
I've only downloaded a handful of apps, mostly themes so I doubt that's responsible.
There is very little internal memory left. 10mb or something.

i want to root. read a lot about it, still dont have the slightest, all i know is that it works, thats all i need to know

can anyone tell me where to get really specific (for dummies) instructions on rooting it. which rom is the closest to froyo. i dont need anything to fancy. just something to make it work like it originally did.

btw

the language options were chinese / thai / english (vietnamese) / english (singaporean) / english (pakistani) etc etc handwriting keyboard input is chinese. will that change if i root my phone.
I bought the a8183 international model. i didnt think much of this at first but i realized

i apologize if these are really stupid question that have been asked before. would be grateful if some one could help

HOPELESS

Might be worth posting this in the rooting section, if the sticky in there is of no help.

Also, might be worth mentioning if it is CDMA or GSM

its an unlocked gsm model number is a8181 not the a8183 that i quoted earlier and the only reason i didnt post it there is because i honestly cant figure out what rooting is exactly. ive read so many articles on it and i still cant figure it out. this android thing is kinda complicated imo.

anyway thanks for the advice :)

Upvote 0
Rooting is the process of gaining root access. Its based on Linux operating system where root is like the equivalent of being the administrator on a windows PC.

It gives you a bit more control over the hardware via custom software roms and apps using permissions you currently don't have.

Not sure if this is necessarily what you want though. But some custom roms (custom android OS releases) fix bugs that exist in the official roms. With many of them being experimental though, some cause new issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones