Here goes...

Last Updated:

1. karns

karns Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

I'm a noob.... been reading all the threads about rooting with SMU. Have decided to take the plunge.

Anybody around to talk me down if I freak out in the middle?

Kathy :)

Advertisement
  2. ianthomas

ianthomas Member

its very easy just pay attention and I would not install the 2.1 home launcher it caused mine to crash alt now im back to open home and its been smooth sailing

3. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member

There is lots of good guides on here and some really knowledgeable posters, so I think you will be fine. Just follow the steps really closely.

Here is the thing about rooting and installing a new ROM. It isn't as dangerous as it may sound honestly. You are really only installing software and the likelihood of truly bricking your phone is almost non-existent. If something screws up and even if you didn't have a backup, there are stock Roms available that you can put back on your phone.

Now, this isn't without risk. You are voiding your warranty and while you can put your phone back to stock quite easily if necessary, you could be in trouble if your phone develops a hardware problem. Let's say that your USB connector goes out. You would not be able to restore your stock ROM (actually it may be possible, but it would be far from trivial). Taking your phone back to Verizon in that state could be problematic.

So it really isn't the rooting/roming that will cause problems initially. It is if you have a hardware problem down the road, you may be out a phone.

Not trying to freak you out, but just trying to make sure you know what you are doing. I am actually pretty happy that I did this and after using Bugless Beast for a while there are definite advantages.

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

If you're using SMU you shouldn't run into any serious problems. Just use common sense and pay attention to what you're doing.

Don't freak out, you'll be fine, and if things go wrong there are plenty of people here who can help you fix it :)

5. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Take a deep breath, read the prompts (the defaults should be fine in most cases) and you will be all set. We have all been there and done. that Welcome to the club! :)

6. karns

Thanks folks!!

Made it through the root and now onto the rom...

Still breathing....

K

7. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

Nice job bud! Pretty simple isn't it? I was all worried at first too but now it's like nothing! I love it! :)

8. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Kind of makes you sorry you didn't do it sooner.

9. karns

I did it!!!

Thank you so much!!