Here is an odd question about the alarm

Last Updated:

1. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Folks,
    Had a wee look about the forum, and couldn't see anyone else with this question.
    First off, I want to make absolutely clear; I'm not a lazy bones, nor do I sleep through my alarm. I
    Its a pretty dull question, so I'll try and make this as interesting as possible.

Picture the scene; I wake up in the morning with my phone loyally beside me, the alarm gently tinkling, letting me know that my bladder due a movement, and my body is due work (not always in that order). I lay there thinking to myself 'You know what? I was a superhero in my dream just now, so I can hold it in for 6-7 minutes.'
    So I reach over, press the snooze button and it goes silent....
    I hear the binmen outside, the sound of the milkman people starting their cars, and not before long, my bladder is telling me... 'For **** sake, will you go for a piss? I'm sitting here, listening to all these noises and all I hear is the tap in the bathroom dripping. GO GO GO!'
    'Alright!' I shout... 'Its only been 4 minutes!'

So I dash off to the lavatory. While I'm in there, I reckon; 'I may as well have a shower. That dreaming about being a superhero was hard work, need to freshen up'
    I jump into the shower, and would you believe it? My phone thinks I'm still in bed, the silly moo! It starts wailing the alarm that I snoozed only 7 minutes ago!
    'But I'm in the shower!' I cry. Clearly the phone can't hear over it's own din.
    I finish up, dash out of the bathroom, beard still dripping and turn off that alarm. "Shush!" I cry "Shush you cursed contraption you!"
    And I look at the battery. The wee critter has lost a good 15/20%!

So here is the question(s)...
    1) Why in the name of jesus does the screen not dim down when the alarm goes off???
    2) Does it not automatically snooze after a long period of ringing??? and
    3) Does it always go off when I can't get to it? eg; shower, or simply having a sit down on the toilet (and not one of those 'I'll get up to grab that' sort of sit downs, I mean the 'How is there more??!!' sort of sit downs.)

So....

?

Advertisement
  2. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

Try Gentle Alarm. There's a trial version if you want to see how it works. It's the end all of alarms for me. It has a "gentle" wake up mode that goes off very quietly shortly before your actual alarm. It gets progressively louder, for a short period of time.

The idea behind that is that if you can hear it, then you're in light sleep mode and that's a better time to wake. If you don't hear it, you're in REM and it will hopefully cycle through until you get out of REM.

Beyond that, it's just very adaptable. You can modify it however many way you want.

Tim

3. yojosefo

yojosefo Member

has happened to me a couple of times, hahahah listening to music while showering... hate that, i will try the alarm:D

4. mirrorimage

Will give it a bash! So, about it going off when I'm having a bowel movement... Any ideas?

5. IBAmyB

IBAmyB Member

Take the phone in there with you?

6. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

A complex system of pulleys and levers.

7. IBAmyB

IBAmyB Member

8. Banzibarn

Banzibarn Well-Known Member

Give Kaloer Clock a go, I think it has the things you want :)

9. Saint2710

Saint2710 Well-Known Member

I'll second that, It's my only bedside clock and alarm!

10. kilroy

kilroy Well-Known Member

If its anything like the stock alarm with the dimmed night mode, it will drain the battery 10-20% overnight.

11. mirrorimage

Well, I tried it. Seemed pretty good. Lot of buttons in the setup. I like buttons.
    I'm currently rescheduling my bathroom habits. Tried the pulleys and levers idea, but wall was a supporting wall and a hamster died. Don't ask, all I say is that butch is in a better place now. What a way to go, but I DID say AFTER 3... Poor thing went on 3.
    Cheers for the help folks; and Pryomancer? You owe me one ****ing cool hamster!

samdale36 likes this.
  12. glow worm

glow worm Well-Known Member

i got one question.

shouldnt the alarm keeps ringing if i never answer it? the alarm seems to go off after a short while if i never answer it..

:(

13. samdale36

samdale36 Well-Known Member

Call me sick and twisted, but this made me chuckle this morning (whilst avoiding getting ready). So, THANKS!