• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Here we go again! Could Android 5.0 Be Released in Fall 2012?

I wouldn't believe too much of anything you read on Digitimes to start with.

If they release any form of update it most likely will be something like 4.1 or 4.2 by end of Q2 2012. Google may choose to call this Jelly Bean, but since it isn't even clear (just speculation and guessing) that that is actually the name of the next OS I would further question this.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
What I don't get was I thought that ICS was supposed to bridge the gap between tabs and phones so why is it being claimed that JB will be optimized for tabs :thinking:

I also recall reading an article a few months back saying that Google is wanting to cut down the major version upgrades for android to once per year so I don't expect to see JB soon.

@OTD I don't think there have been any major releases since the Gnex launch (in the US at least) but I wouldn't be shocked if phones are still released on GB for a while.

Reactions: agentc13
Upvote 0
What I don't get was I thought that ICS was supposed to bridge the gap between tabs and phones so why is it being claimed that JB will be optimized for tabs :thinking:

I also recall reading an article a few months back saying that Google is wanting to cut down the major version upgrades for android to once per year so I don't expect to see JB soon.

@OTD I don't think there have been any major releases since the Gnex launch (in the US at least) but I wouldn't be shocked if phones are still released on GB for a while.

That was my point though. The whole story is worthless with comments like this. They are implying that ICS isn't liked because there aren't 10 different phones out already running it from the factory. The whole idea is absurd.

Reactions: Yeahha
Upvote 0
I did see this posted on Phandroid yesterday (as a rumour) as well.

I agree with Yeahha's questioning about ICS being intended to bring phones and tablets together, so why would they make the very next one specifically for tablets?

Also OTD makes a good point in the fact that ICS has only been officially shipped with the GNex, so a comment on it flopping (adoption rate) is laughable. Many people are craving an official update for this on their phone. Or for other new phones to ship with it.

Upvote 0
100% agree about DigiTimes. When they get an early story right, they get it really right with breakthrough, exciting news. But, their success percentage is low. So it's hard to know if any of their stories is the breakthrough or just more blah blah blah.

I will say that I have been on Android since Donut. And not once have I seen a "what to expect next" article get it right early on.

We'll have fragmentation as long as we have long-lasting budget phones whose hardware can't keep up and so long as we have recalcitrant carriers without the corporate will to keep older, but still capable, models supported. But the popular meme on this isn't as accurate as it sounds. A recent app study specifically for developers showed that while 33 variants of Android were in active use, iOS is in the exact same boat with 22.

Andy Rubin, head of Android for Google at the time, publicly announced that Honeycomb would come to phones and tablets and we had screen shots of early copies running on phones right here on our forums. For technical reasons, that didn't happen. But what has happened is roadmap releases from manufacturers showing when their tablets and phones would be getting ICS, fulfilling the promise of the Gingerbread and Honeycomb rendezvous.

Even running the same version of Android, I don't expect tablets and phones to appear the same. Differences in screen size and other resources mean that various switches, already in place, will be flipped during building to give optimized performance for each type of use. No one wants tablets that are big phones or vice versa.

But we do demand a common overall OS so that we don't have two current Android versions and ICS gives us that.

I personally put no stock in this early round of Jellybean stories.

Reactions: agentc13 and Yeahha
Upvote 0
YOU WOULD THINK GOOGLE WOULD WAIT A LITTLE BUT THEY ALSO TRYING NOT TO FALL BEHIND THE REST AND THE DUAL BOOT THING SOUNDS PRETTY COOL...
I DONT EVEN THINK I WILL HAVE ICS FULLY WORKING BY JUNE ON THE ESTEEM YO!!!!:mad::mad: SO IMA STILL BE BEHIND I FINALLY CATCH UP AND IM GETTING LEFT AGAIN YO GOOGLE NEED TO SLOW DOWN
gee thanks lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones