1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Here we go again! Could Android 5.0 Be Released in Fall 2012?

1. Bill Clay

Bill Clay Well-Known Member

"Digitimes... has a report that Google is readying Android 5.0, codenamed "Jelly Bean", for a release as soon as Q2 2012, or April 2012"

Android Jelly Bean: Could Android 5.0 Be Released in Fall 2012?

While I love having the newest software, these quick version updates are really confusing to new users, and just make the fragmentation criticism more valid.

Advertisement
    :
  2. well clearly it cant be TOO different from ics. the upgrade path from ics to jb shouldnt be as bad, especially with google getting the manufacturers on a quicker update schedule.

by the time phones ship with ics regularly, updating from then on should be easier.

its getting these gb phones to ics that is tough.
  3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I wouldn't believe too much of anything you read on Digitimes to start with.

If they release any form of update it most likely will be something like 4.1 or 4.2 by end of Q2 2012. Google may choose to call this Jelly Bean, but since it isn't even clear (just speculation and guessing) that that is actually the name of the next OS I would further question this.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  4. OfTheDamned

I also have to laugh at the comments about "less than stellar adoption rate of Ice Cream Sandwich". Really? The brand new OS that just came out and has only been released on one phone so far? Have any phones even been released since the Galaxy Nexus besides the Razr Maxx?
    agentc13 likes this.
  5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

What I don't get was I thought that ICS was supposed to bridge the gap between tabs and phones so why is it being claimed that JB will be optimized for tabs :confused:

I also recall reading an article a few months back saying that Google is wanting to cut down the major version upgrades for android to once per year so I don't expect to see JB soon.

@OTD I don't think there have been any major releases since the Gnex launch (in the US at least) but I wouldn't be shocked if phones are still released on GB for a while.
    agentc13 likes this.
  6. tacticool777

tacticool777 Active Member

ugh..i would hate to buy a phone with ICS, just to find out another OS is coming out and we'd have to wait forever for the carrier to release the official version.
  7. OfTheDamned

That was my point though. The whole story is worthless with comments like this. They are implying that ICS isn't liked because there aren't 10 different phones out already running it from the factory. The whole idea is absurd.
    Yeahha likes this.
  8. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

I did see this posted on Phandroid yesterday (as a rumour) as well.

I agree with Yeahha's questioning about ICS being intended to bring phones and tablets together, so why would they make the very next one specifically for tablets?

Also OTD makes a good point in the fact that ICS has only been officially shipped with the GNex, so a comment on it flopping (adoption rate) is laughable. Many people are craving an official update for this on their phone. Or for other new phones to ship with it.
  9. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

IMO as long as we see the % of phones with ICS increase each time one of those reports come out it's not a flop and apparently I don't understand hypothetical questions :eek:
    OfTheDamned likes this.
  10. OfTheDamned

Lol
    Yeahha likes this.
  11. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

100% agree about DigiTimes. When they get an early story right, they get it really right with breakthrough, exciting news. But, their success percentage is low. So it's hard to know if any of their stories is the breakthrough or just more blah blah blah.

I will say that I have been on Android since Donut. And not once have I seen a "what to expect next" article get it right early on.

We'll have fragmentation as long as we have long-lasting budget phones whose hardware can't keep up and so long as we have recalcitrant carriers without the corporate will to keep older, but still capable, models supported. But the popular meme on this isn't as accurate as it sounds. A recent app study specifically for developers showed that while 33 variants of Android were in active use, iOS is in the exact same boat with 22.

Andy Rubin, head of Android for Google at the time, publicly announced that Honeycomb would come to phones and tablets and we had screen shots of early copies running on phones right here on our forums. For technical reasons, that didn't happen. But what has happened is roadmap releases from manufacturers showing when their tablets and phones would be getting ICS, fulfilling the promise of the Gingerbread and Honeycomb rendezvous.

Even running the same version of Android, I don't expect tablets and phones to appear the same. Differences in screen size and other resources mean that various switches, already in place, will be flipped during building to give optimized performance for each type of use. No one wants tablets that are big phones or vice versa.

But we do demand a common overall OS so that we don't have two current Android versions and ICS gives us that.

I personally put no stock in this early round of Jellybean stories.
    agentc13 and Yeahha like this.
  12. Prime85

Prime85 Well-Known Member

Andima likes this.
  13. DMajor239

DMajor239 Well-Known Member

14. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Well-Known Member

Its not really only for tablets, as stated in the article it will motivate manufacturers to push upgrade for phones who didn't get a chance to get ics upgrade . Maybe we will hit the spot with this , hahahah yet again highly unlikely .
  15. wayne137

wayne137 Well-Known Member

YOU WOULD THINK GOOGLE WOULD WAIT A LITTLE BUT THEY ALSO TRYING NOT TO FALL BEHIND THE REST AND THE DUAL BOOT THING SOUNDS PRETTY COOL...
    I DONT EVEN THINK I WILL HAVE ICS FULLY WORKING BY JUNE ON THE ESTEEM YO!!!!:mad::mad: SO IMA STILL BE BEHIND I FINALLY CATCH UP AND IM GETTING LEFT AGAIN YO GOOGLE NEED TO SLOW DOWN
    DMajor239 likes this.
  16. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

google is greedy for money also.
  17. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Well-Known Member Developer

gee thanks lol
  18. SquirrelNuts

SquirrelNuts Well-Known Member Contributor

Lol... Maybe he meant 4.0 and not CM9... Yeah let's go with that :)
  19. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Well-Known Member Developer

the way its been going he may very well be right lol
  20. Andima

Andima Well-Known Member

Yes i just watched pocketnow video regarding jellybean. They predict first jellybean will be Motorola Droid 4.
  21. bqa

bqa Member

Good news. :)
  22. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Threads merged. The Huffington Post used a less than credible source, see opinions above.
  23. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

^ .........
  24. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

^ yes I followed the rabbit down the hole and ate the mushroom.
  25. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

What's news about this? I mean I already expect the new version at the end of every year, that''s like normal right?