Here's what charging with USB gets you...Tips

Last Updated:

1. jmxp69

jmxp69 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Discharge down to < 10%. Completely recharge via USB. Wi-fi on the whole time, Mobile network off.

Also running:

Fresh 0.3
    Overclock Widget set to minimum with screen off.
    People and Friendstream widgets BOTH RUNNING.

I will be charging with USB unless I just need to have a quick boost via AC.

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. droidtime

droidtime Well-Known Member

So you let your phone fall to 10% every time before you charge? The battery thread, by Kappy, says not to let it go that low very often, but the results you got are crazy!!

3. jmxp69

I don't run down to <10% every time, just did it for this example.

4. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

Please post your Display Up Time Screen Shot. Thanks

5. jmxp69

Sorry, took that screen shot 16 hours ago.

6. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

To even sleep for 4 hours with 1% drop is excellent.

7. LarryB56

LarryB56 Member

desmondwh likes this.
  8. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

Search my postings I've done 4% sleeping for 7 or was it 8 hours.
    I'm sure I posted it.

Can't find my pic, but this was the last pic from that day of testing I did.

[​IMG]

9. OhioGuy89

OhioGuy89 Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what results are you talking about? I don't get what the results of the first screen shot are showing.

10. nj2tou

nj2tou Member

I'm new at this too and had to really look to see what they were talking about too. :)

On the top it shows that the phone has been unplugged for over 4 hours and the battery has only discharged 1%.

At least I think that's what they're talking about! LOL!

11. jmxp69

You guys have it right. In the 4 hours, 4 minutes since unplugged, the battery discharged only 1%. I think the two primary reasons for this are that I conducted a full charge from the USB port on my PC and I used the overclock widget to set the screen off CPU scale to 245000 min and max.

J

12. thelobster

thelobster Well-Known Member

really what works here is turning down mobile network.

which is essentially 3g which is why your icon is gone. 3g takes alot of power away.

Dont believe me? then just do your normal wall charge and turn off mobile network as soon as the led is green so you know its at 100%.

herzzreh likes this.
  13. jmxp69

You're right of course. Should have included that in post 11. Turning 3g off is a big help; however, when 802.11 is turned on, 3g is disabled anyway. Try it.

14. swatpup102

swatpup102 Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with charging usb over charging by the wall. The USB doesn't send more power to the phone, you just have wifi on and processor underclocking when the phone is at idle. It better getting amazing battery when setup like that. Turn your 3G back on and see what kinda battery life you get.

15. jmxp69

I'm trying to figure out why it makes a difference. What I do know is I do not get the same results from an AC charge. Here's the only thing I've been able to find close to the issue; unfortunately, it doesn't specifically define the charge rate:

16. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

For people reading this hoping they will get this kind of a result. Remember he also said he is running Fresh 0.3. I too am running Fresh 0.3 rom and that alone will get you 24-48 hours better battery life with med-heavy usage. That rom has some very good battery tweeks as well as they removed sprint bloteware.

just FYI.

Spookymonster likes this.
  17. LarryB56

LarryB56 Member

That is not my experience. I get far better battery life with USB charging and while I always have my wifi radio on and use wifi when available, I also did that before USB charging and had much shorter battery life. I don't underclock or use Fresh.

Personally, I think the difference is the rate of charging. When charging via AC, the rate of charge is much faster than charging via USB. I think the battery must not accept a full charge when charging via AC (even though the indicator says it is fully charged).

Regardless, I know I was getting crappy battery life before USB charging and excellent battery life with USB charging, and that is after turning back on some of the things I turned off (e.g. automatic synch, bluetooth radio, etc.) that I used to turn off to conserve the battery.

18. LarryB56

LarryB56 Member

On the other hand, it couldn't be any simpler to simply try USB charging. All you have to do is plug it into your computer instead of the wall when you go to bed. Since I've done that, I've gone from charging twice per day to once per day, and from worrying about when I'll be able to charge a second time to not worrying about the battery at all.

19. jmxp69

I discharged down to 76% and connected to AC. All other settings were the same except I received one phone call which I ignored and sent to vmail. I turned off wi-fi and took the first screen shot. I turned on BT before I took the 2nd. Both happened within a few seconds.

Either way, on AC, I only got 40 minutes before dropping to 99%.

Theory is great, pictorial evidence is better. I'll stick with USB charging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. sesso

sesso Active Member

Usually when you charge it at a lower mAh it will have a better charge. charging by pc takes forever but lasts the longest. THis is why I hate using car chargers. I found that my phone doesnt last as long using the factory charger that charges at 1000 mAh.

21. danj1111

danj1111 Member

I'm guessing it's like slow charging a car battery. lasts longer.

22. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

I've only charged my phone via USB since I bought it, and it has never done that before.

I have to say that there is more to this. You are running a custom ROM that is a big difference right there. Also disabling mobile data network - I never do that and don't need to (I'm happy with my battery life). Sure I would like the first 10% to not disappear right away, but I'm still happy with it lasting easily 30-40 hours on a single charge with moderate usage.

23. iamtybaby

iamtybaby Banned

Lls... what the **** ever...A full battery after 40 hours... u people are getting outrageous on here

24. snowwy66

snowwy66 Well-Known Member

i must be an idiot cuz i last a lot longer with a wall charge then a pc charge. the pc never hits that green light. the wall charge does. my wifi stays off as i never use it. the only access i have around here is my home wifi. everywhere else is usually locked with a password. and if i need to surf the internet. it's usually somewhere in no mans land anyways. and 4g is very very spotty around here.

i'm curious as to this fresh .3 you all are talking about. is it a root? and does 4g work. cuz unrevoked don't work with the last update. and i had no 4g working when i did a full root WITHOUT unrevoked. i'd love to get rid of the sprint crap and have the wifi hotspot back.

25. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

Fresh is a replacement ROM that keeps Sense. You must be rooted to flash a different ROM (like Fresh). 4G works on .3 and the newest version of Fresh. Wifi hotspot as well. I think Sprint TV is the only Sprint app that it leaves (which is the only one I wanted). Battery life is MUCH better.