Here's why Verizon already doesn't care about the IncredibleGeneral

Last Updated:

1. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There is a huge press conference when Verizon said they were going to start carrying android phones, there was tons of hype about the Moto Droid, there is some news story about the iphone everyday, there was a press conference about the microsoft kin phone, what does the incredible get? at least a TV spot?

the get a coming soon web page... wtf

Advertisement
  2. PowerCosmic

PowerCosmic Well-Known Member

Remember the HTC Dream/G1? It had very mixed reviews and gave people pause about the Android OS (which at that time was ver. 1.0). The Moto Droid, however, marked a new era for the OS (now 2.1) and was essentially the equivalent to a "reboot" as far as public perception goes. The "Droid does" precisely what a phone running the Android OS was intended to. It got a lot of publicity and market share for this reason. It changed public perception about the OS.

Now, the Incredible will run Android ver. 2.1. As great as the hardware is, this could hardly be considered a stepping stone for the OS; meaning Google has no reason to throw money at it for marketing. Will Verizon? Probably. The 29th is still 2 weeks off! The people that are aware of the phone (the hundreds, if not thousands of us) are going to buy it on day one. I believe Verizon knows this. Does it make a difference if those who are currently unaware of the Incredible see a commercial this week or next week? I'm not an advertising expert but my gut feeling is: no.

3. Vaetix

Vaetix Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen Verizon advertise a phone prior to its release.. I could be wrong though.

4. famac!

famac! Well-Known Member

Pretty dumb post by the OP. The 29th is still 2 weeks away!!

Outatime likes this.
  5. XDaydreamerX11

XDaydreamerX11 Well-Known Member

They had TONS of commericals, and the Droid website had a countdown. They do ALOT of pre advertising. They just really haven't so far for the Incredible...but from the looks of these forums, it does have a good sized following :)

6. shawn487

shawn487 Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Verizon didnt have a press conference for the kins microsoft did. iphone talk for verizon has been going on since it came out. Droid was there first android phone yes they hyped it up alot. But also remember they still have time to hype up the incredible. Heck 90% of the people they market phones to dont know about the Incredible yet or even the 2 kins. all in due time

7. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

8. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

You need to pick and choose in this type of marketing. That's why there is a lead device chosen so you can focus on that one product--it's cost efficient. That product is not the HTC Incredible.

9. pixmo

pixmo Member

I'd rather it not be heavily publicized so I won't have to fight the crowds :D

Mookie1127 and bravesfan171 like this.
  10. tinomen

tinomen Active Member

The Eris has received little or no publicity from Verizon.

I think a lot of the Droid marketing had to do with Motorola. The Droid was their attempt to regain traction in the phone marketplace (which was successful). I wouldn't be surprised if they paid for those Droid commercials themselves, or a least went dutch ;)

11. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

Great point about the Motorola thing. It seems to me that Verizon is more interested in flashing thier 3G map around than advertising a specific phone.

12. Sailingmaster

Sailingmaster Well-Known Member

If Motorola is spending that much money on advertising, then shame on them. Their quality control processes could make much better use of that money. Just ask anyone who's owned a Rival.

13. generic username

generic username Well-Known Member

14. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member

Well you have to wonder how much was Verizon's marketing and how much was Moto's marketing. I'm thinking Moto was the one dishing out the money to advertise the Droid.

I don't think Verizon cares too much about Android OS, they just needed some phones to compete in the market so it looks like they're trying. From what I've read, they were pretty reluctant to start supporting Android because its open-sourceness and whatnot.

Anyways, I think it's HTC that needs to make it so I see some more commercials about these bitchin phones, but then it then it comes down to which phones should they advertise, because they have some on every network...

Anyways, they need to make it so they're available. But not so people know about them...because I want to be able to get one lol

15. nut bunnies

nut bunnies Member

Might as well enjoy this while it lasts until VZW gets the iPhone within the next 2 or 3 years at which point it'll be like nothing else exists

ryanx27 likes this.
  16. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Verizon will do the same Droid style marketing when the Droid TWO is near release ;)

17. dblack9

dblack9 Well-Known Member

i wouldnt blame it entirely on verizon. htc doesnt advertise their verizon phones for crap.
    as i said in the other thread, i dont think verizon is thinking of this phone as it's flagship.
    it's just something new to put out while they get ms pink, iphone, droid2 and moto shadow ready.

18. runin2k1

runin2k1 Active Member

I suspect the Incredible being named the Droid Incredible has a lot to do with them wanting to leverage the marketing campaign behind the Motorola Droid. They've spent a lot of money advertising the Droid already so people will see the Droid Incredible and think it is the same thing or next-gen version simply due to brand recognition even though it is a completely different phone/manufacturer.

19. PaulMcCartney

PaulMcCartney Well-Known Member

20. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

I agree with them trying to brand it to the Droid. but, I have to wonder how Moto will feel about this.

21. runin2k1

runin2k1 Active Member

I'd be pissed [​IMG]

22. Sailingmaster

Why? They didn't get up in arms over the Droid Eris...

shawn487 likes this.
  23. Mookie1127

Mookie1127 Member

I was thinking the same thing.

24. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

Had not thought about that. Maybe they are the ones that own the Droid name not Moto.

25. Sailingmaster

Droid is more of a marketing gimmick for Verizon, in my opinion. Remember, Moto's Droid is called the Milestone everywhere else. It may be that it's entirely a Verizon marketing scheme and they asked Moto to call it the Droid for the marketing rather than Moto dictating the name.