Hero - Advice to new user.......

Last Updated:

1. happy1

happy1 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello : )

Have found this forum (its great!!) and need some help if possible......

Just got an HTC Hero and im in the UK.

Im having the dreaded wirless router connection problem (thats not my question!) - I cant seem to see any clear cut options to fix the issue, however, I note that some people are not having this trouble, it looks as though it could be to do with the type of wireless router thats used?

My question is.......is there one brand/model of wireless router that everyone agrees definitely works with the HTC hero, in wireless mode?? Can anyone tell me which models 100% work (im in the UK if that's any help). Im currently using a Netgear 834.

Of course, if anyone has worked out a fix (!) i would be more than happy to keep on using my current router.

Advertisement
  2. bonanno

bonanno New Member

have you check your router setting? dont use WPA2 ..try use WPA ..

3. happy1

Im using WEP, encryption strength 64, g&b mode.....

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I started compiling a list, but it hasn't been updated for a while due to lack of data. You can find it here.

5. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

I have 2 wireless routers in the house (thick walls). The Belkin F5D9630 in my office area did not work - said it was connected but kept getting the dreaded message. Whereas the Netgear WGR614 (which was wired into the Belkin) covering the other part of house worked fine. So for the office I looked out my old DLink DI524 router that i had retired when I bought the Belkin and wired that into the Belkin. That now works fine.

So there you are - one that doesn't and two that do.

I have read elsewhere that the Hero does not like 11n wifi - throttle it back to 11b or g.

6. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

BT HomeHub v1 works just fine.

7. greg_stinson

greg_stinson Member

My Linksys WAG54G2 is shite with my Hero, intermittent at best is how I would describe performance! :mad:

8. happy1

OK ...HELP!!!! I have changed my router to WPA2 as slug suggested and hey presto my Hero now works a treat - Thanks so much Slug.....HOWEVER, all my wireless laptops (two old ones and a net book) have stopped working. The main PC (where the wireless router is hard wired) is fine. Stating, limited or no connectivity...... Can anyone HELP !!

9. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

The old laptop might not handle WPA2 but I would expect a netbook to be fine.

10. happy1

Think I have sorted it - just needed to delete the wirless connection on each laptop and re-establish, inputting network key (even though it was the same). Fingers crossed it keeps on working.......... The forum is really great - thanks to all of you, and in particular Slug.

Here`s a new question for you....I can receive and send E-mail from my googlemail account from my Hero, but I can only receive email (not reply or send) from the Hero - I just get an error message back saying 'failed' - any ideas??

11. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Glad you got the router issue sorted. :)

Via wi-fi? Your email client is likely configured to use your mobile carrier's SMTP (outbound) server, which for security reasons isn't usually allowed if you're not connected to their network.

One solution: configure two separate accounts, one for connection via mobile network using your carrier's SMTP server and the other via wi-fi using your broadband provider's.

My preferred solution: forward everything to Googlemail and use that exclusively from the Hero. You can even choose to have replies appear with the same "From:" address as the original receiving account.