Hero and Rooting (Help)

Last Updated:

1. Theonekiller

Theonekiller Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, i was wondering if someone could give me a basic explanation on what rooting your Hero phone is? Is it similar to jail breaking your IPhone? I really don't know much about the terms and stuff so if someone could just help me out that would be great :p

thanks

Advertisement
  2. ovigt71

ovigt71 Well-Known Member

all those information witch you need you can find it here : http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/19660-guide-installing-modaco-custom-rom.html . the main problem is: people getting boring reading the first 4 treads ............ THE WIKI!

3. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

The link doesen't actually say what Root is.

Theonekiller, Root is the name of the main administrator account of a GNU/Linux operating system. Android is Linux based so to root is to give you full access to the o/s allowing you to modify anything in the file system. Some applications require you have root access so that system files can be modified. Some people like to have root access to modify settings that cannot be changed through the graphical interface.

4. DeadlyDazza

DeadlyDazza Well-Known Member

I've got a week old T-mobile G2 and just up'd to a class 6 8gb SDHC.
    I've been pondering rooting as the first thing i did was to load up apps only to get the low memory warning (pretty disapointed at that !).
    So, 2 questions here, is it worth waiting 'till the new (2.1?) ROM is released before doing so ?(i.e, will the ROM itself allow SD storage of apps ?(i've spent a lot of time customising my phone, after 2 factory re-sets as well !)).
    And last, is the above link (http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/19660-guide-installing-modaco-custom-rom.html) the correct one for rooting a Hero on T-mobile.