Hero... but which colour & why ?

1. amnesia

amnesia Well-Known Member

Hi all... I am finally about to pull the trigger on a SIM free Hero :D

I have an Orange contract, but I have read bad things about not being able to root the Orange phones due to changed unlock keys. I am also only halfway through my contract so SIM free is the only way to go for now.

This brings me to a tough decision... which colour should I go for ?

• White - does it really not get dirty ?
    • Mocha Brown
    • Black
    • Pink - er, no thanks, not for me
    • Graphite - not seen SIM free anywhere :(

I think I like the brown, but haven't seen one in the flesh... I am worried that the white one looks a bit too, er, Apple !

Which did you go for, and why ?

Cheers,
    Daniel.

Advertisement
  2. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Wanted the graphite, but like you say: cant get an unlocked version. Then thought maybe black, but for some reason couldn't find it on a vodafone contract, only T-mobile.

So ended up getting the white. Is nice. Is not dirty. You like.
  3. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

Black is exclusive to T-Mobile in the UK
  4. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

Graphite, because brown is the anti-colour of style.
  5. amnesia

amnesia Well-Known Member

Probably why I quite like it... I have no style... I am a late 30 something IT manager who wears brown cords to work, and drives a Ford Maverick.

I ran out of style a long time ago :rolleyes:
  6. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

I'm 17 and I love it ;)
  7. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

wow i had no idea there were that many colors
    i have a black
    and a mocha brown/graphite ( dont know what one)
    and the black definatly looks the best
    i also think the white is good
  8. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

The HTC gold limited edition looks good.
  9. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member

I've got a brown one, and it actually looks more like a dull bronze in reality. It's certainly not an unpleasant colour.

First thing I did with mine was to buy a cover for it, so you can't see the colour anyway.
  10. james

james Well-Known Member

I got the graphite one because it's unlocked, and I got a good deal on it at mobiles.co.uk, if you're in the UK you should check them out.
  11. poultrum

poultrum Well-Known Member

I wouldn`t go for the white as their has been a few comments on this site about the dye leaking to the phones case from pockets to actual official leather cases, I`ve got the brown/graphite one and the GF has the black one.Personally I think the black one looks a tad bland, I like the graphite one, thing to bear in mind is their is a black border around the screen, so the phones case also has to match this :)
  12. huntsman84

huntsman84 Member

Don't know how you could possibly get "dye" stains on a white one..I've had a white one for a month now and it's still perfectly white...not a single mark on it (i dont have a skin on it and i dont use a case, just goes in whatever pocket i have that day).

You have to either wear some really cheap jeans that would stain any phone, or simply not take care of your phone, in which case any color you get is going to get damaged anyway.

I got the white because every single cell phone in the world is either black or a dark color, it's refreshing.
  13. _MarkC

_MarkC Well-Known Member

I was a bit concerned when I was told I was getting a brown one. It's actually very nice, and more bronze than brown. Looks very smart and I don't even have cords or a cardigan.
  14. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Doesn't the white one have an anti finger print coating that the graphite doesn't?
  15. huntsman84

huntsman84 Member

Yeah, not sure why they'd put that coating on the white one only though, strange.
  16. JayCee

JayCee Well-Known Member

Carrying it in a leather case which is a perfectly normal thing to do to give it a bit of protection and keep it clean...like I did.
    It got so bad I got HTC to replace the white housing with a brown one under warranty.
    I would avoid the white model because of this issue.
  17. Chris@H3GUK

Chris@H3GUK New Member

When I bought my white Hero it had written on the box that the handset "has been treated with a special coating to help keep it looking new and clean" "If the back of the phone gets dirty, remove the back cover and use a lightly dampened melamine foam eraser (aka. magic eraser) to remove any marks"

I have the white one and no dirt or marks so far although I do use a clear silicon case most of the time :D

Regards,

Chris
  18. alchemistkevin

alchemistkevin Well-Known Member

black here, looks a bit bland - graphite/brown sounds better

white's good as long as it doesn't get dirty
  19. poultrum

poultrum Well-Known Member

@huntsman84
    so i`m trying to help this guy out and you start going on about me wearing cheap jeans?If you read my post you would see I don`t even own the white one.

Below is a link to an article where they talk about the dye leaking onto the phones case,
    Updated: Cases for the HTC Hero | Mobile Fun Blog
    Below is a snippet from the metioned article incase you don`t wanna read it all.

Now before I go on to the cases, there is one thing that I’ve noticed on the Hero that I should mention – particularly if you have a white one. The plastic that the housing is made from seems to discolour quite easily, the dye from clothing or some cases may transfer on to the phone, which will require a bit of effort to clean off. It’s not a massive problem as it does come off, but it does mean that if your phone isn’t protected, it might end up looking worn quite quickly on the corners and on the back cover.
    Normally, I’d recommend an InvisibleSHIELD full body protector to stop this kind of discolouring of the case, but we’ve been informed by our suppliers that if an InvisibleShield is removed from the phone, it will peel the paint off too, so for that reason we’ve decided not to range the InvisibleSHIELD products for the HTC Hero