'Hero' challenged - Lot of questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. edifiz

edifiz Member This Topic's Starter

I got HTC Hero a month back. This is my first smart fone and I am still getting used to the touch screen. I miss a lot of things from my old phone.

1. Music Folder: I stored music from my computer and stored it in different folders under the music folder on my fone. However when i go to listen to the music it it sorted under all different categories (artists, albums, genre) except the folder that I created. Is there a way I can view the songs folder wise. I remeber seeing it once but even after trying all the options I am unable to find that option now.

2. Making Calls: My husband thinks I am silly to complain about this stuff but it is really annoying to me. My old phone had the feature where when I called someone the screen would show 'calling' and as soon as the other line was picked (or went on voicemail) the timer of the call would start. with Hero I cannot figure out if the phone is still ringing or if the line is picked on the other end. (I know I can use the speaker option). But that just seemed convenient to me.

3. Sync: All my contacts in Google has been added to the phone list and I want to remove the google contacts and dont want it to be added anymore. How do I 'un-sync' it ?

4. Test Message: When I send a text message to a contact looks like the first number(generally the home number) is automatically selected. Even when I enter the first few alphabets of the contact it shows me all the numbers of the contact but does not tell me if the number is a home, work or mobile number. I do not know all the numbers by memory to select the correct mobile number. Is there a way I can name it different or give a different symbol to it?

Advertisement
  2. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Hello there,

Which version of Android are you running?

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

For #4 - I believe if you long press a number in a contact it gives you the option to make that the primary number. When so selected, sms should go there by default.

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Although I am not using the same firmware as you on my hero, so I can't say for sure, I'm believe that the hero has always had some form of indicator on the screen to show when the person picked up.

If you go to Settings >> Accounts and Sync and then click on your gmail account it will list all the different things it is syncing for you. Untick contacts and it will stop syncing them.

5. robogo

robogo Well-Known Member

Yeah, the stock player is kinda stupid on that front. Find MortPlayer on the market, it's free and can play music the way you put it into folders.

Hero has a neat built-in function. When you call someone, as soon as the other side picks up, the phone vibrates once, shortly.

You have to go into your account settings and sign out of Google from your phone. Go to your accounts & sync and uncheck Contacts so your phone doesn't sync to Google contacts.

OR, you can set up your phonebook not to display Google contacts.

Again, you have to enter your contacts and select each contact's primary number and function (home-mobile-work). If the numbers are entered that way, that is. My Hero does that for me, displays the number and then the type after the number, e.g. Mary 12345678 (home), Mary 87654321 (mobile).

Hope you find this helpful, if not, please ask again and I will try to solve your questions :)

EDIT: sorry, I haven't noticed there are several replies already. Sorry, folks :)

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I don't think removing the google account is the right thing to do, since you'd loose email too.

7. robogo

robogo Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct, Xyro. I will edit my post once again. :D

8. alsoran

alsoran Well-Known Member

Thanks for Marys phone number,will give her a buzz later,

9. robogo

robogo Well-Known Member

please do :D

10. edifiz

edifiz Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you all for your responses.

#1. Mortplayer solved this. Thanks robogo.
    #3. I unchecked 'sync contacts' options.
    #4. Thanks for letting me know about the primary number option. I guess all I have to do is store all mobile numbers as the primary number.

#2. Still does not work for me. The phone vibrates as soon as the call is connected (as the other line starts ringing). Not when the other person picks up the fone.

Thank you all once again. Please do let me know if you find an answer to #2.