• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero charging issue (taking way too long)

NoJive

Jun 8, 2010
I posted a thread about my battery life earlier this week, and I thank all the for the help! Here is another issue I am having that may be related. My phone takes forever to charge. Example: used my phone heavily this morning from 5:30 am till around 9am. Came home, battery was down to 15% or so. Plugged it into the AC charger around 10am, went outside and mowed the yard, etc. Finally checked the phone around 4pm, and it was still charging. Battery was showing 90% or so. Shouldn't it fully charge in around 2 hours or less???? I did some research and found some people having charging issues after they upgraded to 2.1, which I did right after I got the phone. I did check with my local RS where I got the phone, and the guy I spoke with has a Hero, and his does not do this. He suggested I go to a Sprint store and have them look at it. Any ideas?

Jive

Take it back. I think you have a bad battery. Mine (and I think most other's) will charge fully in 2 hrs. I have constantly been flashing/rebooting/and surfing with mine tonight and it is fully charged after about 2.5 hrs being plugged in.

That was what I was thinking. I'll check with Sprint tomorrow, in the meantime, I did a hard reset to see if that cures it.

Jive

Upvote 0
If you are charging your Sprint HTC Hero from the wall A/C adapter and it is taking over six hours to get to 90% charged then that is really too long of a time for it to take. My handset is usually fully charged in about two to three hours at most. It charges very quickly to about 80% - 90% and then it slows down for the last 10% - 20% to preserve the battery's longevity. Most batteries follow this pattern when charging.

It would take longer if you were charging it by plugging your USB cable into your computer. The computer's USB port produces less power than directly charging from the wall outlet. But even then, it should not take over six hours to charge. Maybe three or four hours at most and even that is pushing it.

Upvote 0
It would seem removing the battery helps quite a bit, charged right up this morning off the USB, not sure about the more power comment, USB is 5 volts DC, that is exactly what the phone requires, car and wall chargers have to convert down to 5 volts, amperage is controlled by the charging circuit in the phone, so as long as you have a decent PC (ie good power supply) should not take any longer.

I would imagine removing the battery somehow resets the charging circuit, mine was fine before 2.1, very odd indeed. I also went in to about phone and looked at what is using the battery, seems I had bluetooth on all the time, I turned it off it was using 29% of the power consumed.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all for the help. Took the phone back, and they replaced the battery. So far, it seems to be acting right.

Far as charging faster on AC, the battery can be safely charged at 1.5 amps (1c), and the AC adapter puts out 1 amp vs the USB at .5 amps, hence it takes longer. I know on my TP2, if I was on it heavily, the USB charging couldn't keep up!

Jive

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones