• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

hero eclair or 2.0.1

2.0.1 is a specific to droid update, and won't be comming to the Hero. The specualtion is however, that the hero will be recciving the 2.1 version of the software (which is what the leaked builds show). What the differances are between 2.0 and 2.1 are not yet totally clear, but in my guess it's probably bust to wait for HTC to officially announce what they are releasing.

EDIT: IT is also worth noting that both of HTC's offical tweet's on the matter have stated that it is Eclair (2.0) coming to the Hero

Upvote 0
If I'm not mistaken 2.1 fixes a few bugs in 2.0 and some tiny improvements. It makes no sense jumping to 2.0 when 2.1 is available, HTC know that because they'll just have to update again, so they'e skipped 1.6 and 2.0 and just gone straight to 2.1. One update instead of three, makes sense to me.

below link is the developers SDK page for android with information on 2.1.

Android 2.0.1, Release 1 | Android Developers

Upvote 0
If I'm not mistaken 2.1 fixes a few bugs in 2.0 and some tiny improvements. It makes no sense jumping to 2.0 when 2.1 is available, HTC know that because they'll just have to update again, so they'e skipped 1.6 and 2.0 and just gone straight to 2.1. One update instead of three, makes sense to me.

below link is the developers SDK page for android with information on 2.1.

Android 2.0.1, Release 1 | Android Developers

That link is for 2.0.1 not 2.1. Which means that I was wrong about 2.0.1 being a Droid specific release.

The leaked ROM's were all 2.1, which doesn't help clear anything up at all

Upvote 0
so is there a way to get a custom rom based 2.0/2.1 on a sprint hero?

can someone explain what the whole ROM business means? i've been out of the game for a few years and forgot.

None out yet as no one has leaked a rom from HTC for sprint.

From what i know. the rom is the build of the phone, we have android 1.5 and HTC then worked on it and added sense UI and a few other things. Just because the OS is available in version 2 you can't just dump it on a phone and expect it to simply work, they need to make it work with the hardware so the manufacturers still have to work on it.

Someone could take a rom from another machine and rework its so it functions on that machine, but it may not always run very well. For instance there are Hero roms working on G1's.

People are using Android 2.1 with Hero Sense UI now because they got hold of the leaked rom HTC are working on, but it was an early building and not very optimized, plus market didn't work amongst some other things.

Simple fact, when HTC finish it, they'll put it on their website, your carrier will then get a copy and added their little bits to it and release a few days or weeks later, by that time some custom rom builder will have hacked it to pieces and made it run quicker.

Upvote 0
so using hacked roms makes it run quicker/better?

is there a hacked rom for 1.5 for sprint hero that I should be using?

does this take away warranties?

Depends if the person who made the rom optimized it. Usually they do.

Just looked on XDA developers and there seems to be some roms.

Hero CDMA - xda-developers CDMA Hero Page

It does take away your warranty, but you should make a backup of your original Rom so if something broke on your phone you could flash the original Rom Back on.

You have to be very careful with flashing a new rom on your device so you need to fully understand what your doing before attempting it as the worst case scenario is bricking your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones