• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero 'Emergency calls only'

nockie3

Lurker
Dec 31, 2009
Hi

I've been having signal troubles with my Hero since I had it 3 months ago. Ive been reading on here and just put it down to the antenna being in the 'chin' and the radio version Orange UK have supplied with their firmware being buggy.

Over the past two days I have noticed that upon picking the phone up, it displays 'Emergency calls only' and will not pick up signal until rebooted. It has now done this twice. I have checked the sim card and all seems fine but i have noticed there are more gold 'prongs' on the phone that there are on the sim card. If I look carefully, the last prong on each row sits on a plastic bit of the sim card. Is this right?

Hopefully someone can help!

Thanks

Nockie3, I have the same problem, I don't reboot, my windows mobile phone was better, but it also was finding it difficult to pick signals, basically poor network coverage.

I think the transmitter turns the power down to conserve battery, so in all the Smart Phones I had, the trick was to try and initiate a call or web browsing etc, and the transmitter ramps up the power and you get signals. My old HTC touch dual was a lot better at ramping power the moment you fiddled with it, but it got very hot and used the battery at an astonishing rate.
I notice the same with the Hero, just try making a call it will complain, and then the power would ramp up and you will get a signal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones